Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my Engine oil this weekend after 2800 miles and it used one Quart of oil:mad:. I Have used Quaker State Synthetic Oil 5W30 for years. Have had Pontiac Gran Prix GTP 3.8L and also have had a Tundra 4.7L brand new and used this oil with no useage between oil change's EVER. Now I own a Impala SS and this happens is this the norm!!!!:eek:.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Not uncommon for a new engine to use a quart or two during the first 6 to 10K miles as the engine brakes in. If it still happens after the 3rd change then I would look into the problem.

Most manufacturers will tell you that a quart per 1,000 miles is ok and normal usage provided there are no leaks.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
my buddy has a 4.7 tundra had some wierd problems w/ it early on w the gas pedal sticking............ other than that there sick !!!

how hard have u been driving the new ss.....???:confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2 on the burning during break in...
may want to look into Mobil1 instead of the QS crap :) Just my .02 though ;)
Been using QS for years without any problems. My car already had 15K when I bought it and I changed the oil to QSS. I just don't expect oil useage from something fairly new.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Mine is due for an oil change in -120 :eek: so I will let you know if I notice anything when I change it. The oil in there now is what the dealer used so it probablly wasnt good stuff, but if anything was burnt I will let you know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be consuming oil because someone drove the car without seating the rings.

Quaker state is fine. Along with any other SM rated API oil. 3K is nothing for an OCI, and even conventional oil can handle that.
What I haven't notice is any blue smoke at start up or anytime. Could it be they didn't use Synthetic Oil during break in?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can get improper ring seating (by following the manual's break in for engine) but still have visual confirmation of oil burning.. Usually instances of high engine vacuum (hill coasting) can cause oil consumption issues. However 1quart every 3K I recall could be considered "Normal"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get improper ring seating (by following the manual's break in for engine) but still have visual confirmation of oil burning.. Usually instances of high engine vacuum (hill coasting) can cause oil consumption issues. However 1quart every 3K I recall could be considered "Normal"
I have never had a car use oil this new.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm not saying it's Normal, hence why I put it in quotes. "NORMAL" I've seen thrown around is 1 quart consumption per 3K.

How do you know it used 1 quart of oil? did you have the engine up to hot oil temps when you drained it? Did you recover all the oil from the filter? And all the oil that resides in the engine still?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm not saying it's Normal, hence why I put it in quotes. "NORMAL" I've seen thrown around is 1 quart consumption per 3K.

How do you know it used 1 quart of oil? did you have the engine up to hot oil temps when you drained it? Did you recover all the oil from the filter? And all the oil that resides in the engine still?
It was a Quart low on the dip stick. When I bought it and got it home I changed the oil. I'm just old school that way. So I drove it for the 2800 miles and before I changed it again thats when I checked the dip stick and it was 1qt low.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The new 5.3L uses oil, they have small oil jets that go directly into the piston, to prevent piston slap. You'll also use oil if you push it a bit hard too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I changed my Engine oil this weekend after 2800 miles and it used one Quart of oil:mad:. I Have used Quaker State Synthetic Oil 5W30 for years. Have had Pontiac Gran Prix GTP 3.8L and also have had a Tundra 4.7L brand new and used this oil with no useage between oil change's EVER. Now I own a Impala SS and this happens is this the norm!!!!:eek:.

Ben2007SS,

I know to burn a quart per every 3K is considered normal. In some instances depending on the brand of car you won't see any at all.

In my 01' Dodge Durango I've tried the "Q" in 5W-30 weight and found it to be a fine oil to use as Quaker State is owned by Shell. If it works for you then it's fine cuz it's your money. Make sure to check the back and see if it meets the GM specs.

Durango

1 - 17 of 17 Posts