Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a common problem for oil sending units to go bad and send a low oil pressure warning to the drivers information center? I did a google search on this this and found lots of people having this problem. Also how can I hook up a oil pressure gauge? I cringe everytime time I hear the DIC chime. My car only shows the warning for a few seconds once in awhile. Any info will be appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Is it a common problem for oil sending units to go bad and send a low oil pressure warning to the drivers information center? I did a google search on this this and found lots of people having this problem. Also how can I hook up a oil pressure gauge? I cringe everytime time I hear the DIC chime. My car only shows the warning for a few seconds once in awhile. Any info will be appreciated.Thanks

Oil pressure sending units are common replacement parts.

Low oil I pressure can be caused by the low oil, wrong viscosity oil and/or a defective, incorrect or partially clogged oil filter. In those cases, the sending unit is operating properly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2010 police with a 3.9. I recently changed the oil and filter. I used the recommended 5w30 oil and a delco filter. Still an occasional low oil pressure warning. As I said it only come on once in awhile and only last a couple of seconds. Car has 143k on odometer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have a 08 SS 5.3L w/ 150k but mine throws up the warning after 5 minutes of driving faithfully everytime. Check the oil level and its fine and clean. I just purchased a new oil pressure sensor and plan on installing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am having the same problem. I have a 08 SS 5.3L w/ 150k but mine throws up the warning after 5 minutes of driving faithfully everytime. Check the oil level and its fine and clean. I just purchased a new oil pressure sensor and plan on installing it tomorrow.
Let us know if this solves your problem. I have also been told to check the plug where it goes onto the sending unit. If it is oil soaked or feels bad in any way replace it also. I am getting a new sending unit for my car today also. Will post results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let us know if this solves your problem. I have also been told to check the plug where it goes onto the sending unit. If it is oil soaked or feels bad in any way replace it also. I am getting a new sending unit for my car today also. Will post results.

Initially did not solve the problem. Turns out there are 2 locations so I needed to replace both. I also had a leaking gasket and a bad solenoid. My car was stuck in 8 cylinder mode. Wasnt properly switching to 4. After all of that everything is good.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have put several hundred miles on the impala since my last post. Have not had the oil pressure warning since I replaced the sending unit. Just wanted to let everyone know that changing it solved my problem. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post and happy motoring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts