Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil pressure guage is maxxed out whenever the car is running, but the car seems to run smooth and without any trouble. Could the guage cluster itself be going bad, or just a sending unit? Thanks for any help in advance!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I would guess the sending unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Is the car a civilian car or a 9C1?
The civilian cars had a needle on the dash but in reality the sending unit was an on/off switch and the needle just indicated that there was pressure and did not move as the pressure changed with rpm or oil temp.

There is a resistor in the wiring on civilian cars that has to be removed to make the gauge work with a real sending unit as well so it is not just a sender swap.

Is this a recently developed problem or did you recently buy the car this way?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the car a civilian car or a 9C1?
The civilian cars had a needle on the dash but in reality the sending unit was an on/off switch and the needle just indicated that there was pressure and did not move as the pressure changed with rpm or oil temp.

There is a resistor in the wiring on civilian cars that has to be removed to make the gauge work with a real sending unit as well so it is not just a sender swap.

Is this a recently developed problem or did you recently buy the car this way?
It's a civilian car. It's been that way since I bought the car, I didn't know if this was normal, or an actual problem.

·
The Engineer That Could
84 Posts
the civilian cars gauge don't actually work. i have the cop version and it is the only one that "truly" reads an oil pressure reading. my father has a same year impala version and it just literally jolts right to one position and stays there. he says there might be something you can do to fix it, but too much trouble. he'd rather turn it into a tachometer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts