Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Here's my problem. I recently bought this car back in august. I've changed the oil twice in the car since then. However, yesterday when I drained the oil there was about a 1.25 qts that came out of the oil pan. This scares me to death. I put about 5500 miles on this oil before changing. I used full-synthetic and an fram xtra guard oil filter. I know your suppose to change the oil every 3000 miles but this time I was a little over, and I realize that.. But should the car be burning that much oil? I could see it being 1qt low or even 2qts but damn near 3qts is just scary. After changing the oil and putting in the required 4qts of oil back in, the car seems to be running fine. The engine doesn't appear to be making any weird knocking noise and the HP is still there. However, I'm still afraid there's something wrong with the motor. I'm going to monitor the oil consumption very closely from now on, but am thinking I should just sell this car before it turns into a pile of shit. What do you guys think?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
did it burn it or leak it? was it making any noises?
I would check it like you said to see what is going on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Burned it, I believe, I've never seen any oil puddles.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
GM claims that burning 1 quart every 1000 miles is perfectly normal. Now granted, it's not, nor is it acceptable, but the point is they are well aware there is an issue, and are completely unwilling to help anyone with it. 2009 still had active fuel management yes? Oil consumption was a common issue with it, probably the main reason they stopped putting it in vehicles after that. I have heard that using castrol helps stop the oil loss, I have no idea why, but it's certainly worth a shot. In the mean time, check your oil more often! Changing it at 5k is perfectly fine, it just needs to stay topped off until then.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree with King, but get rid of that fram filter. I have heard bad things about them going into bypass mode quickly after install. So if your going 5k on an oil change(which is fine for the oil) i would worry about the filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try castrol next time. What do you mean by bypass mode? Also, what's the best fuel filter to go with? I've always thought FRAM is the higher end filter..

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Bypass is instead of filtering the oil it just keeps recirculating it.

I personally have always used k&n gold oil filters. Why? I couldnt tell you but they perform good for me.
But that's not saying they are better than whatever is on sale and 1/3rd of the price.

·
Registered
285 Posts
oil use

I too agree with King. I get so tired of people saying a car uses X amount of oil for X amount of miles. For the most part your car or motorcylce should not use basically any oil or there is something not as it should be. Whether it's a bad PCV valve, valve guides or seals, rings, leaks etc, none of my cars use basically any oil, nor did any of my late model harleys. The 40's, well what can I say.

jeff

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I use Wix filters, 51522 is the PN for the 3500 engine, not sure if it is for the 3900 as well or not. Bypass is when the filter clogs, the oil pump bypasses it with a valve so you don't lose oil pressure. The problem with that is, the filter is not doing anything. I don't think that will cause a consumption problem, but it can certainly cause problems.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If the car is using that much oil, check it every time you get gas.

Sometimes a heavier viscosity can slow oil consumption but that would probably void the warranty. Or, and this is rare, sometimes a synthetic will clean up the crap left behind by cheap oil and suddenly the car is burning oil.

I personally would never switch a car with more than 20,000 miles on it over to synthetic. Some have no problems, some have horror stories.

So try an oil change with regular 5W-30 and if it stops burning oil, keep using the regular oil.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That is technically more accurate, but oil level doesn't need to be precise. As long as it stays right around the full mark its fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts