Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil filters do you guys use in your car?

AC Delco OE?
After Market?

After about 4,500 miles, I find that the OE type filter is no longer filtering oil and is starting to get dark.

I got a Fram "Ultra" Oil filter it claims upto 15,000 miles..
for $7 After mail rebate and decent synthetic oil. Switching to 10w/30(from 5w/30) Since it's warming up outside..

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
wix filters

Your oil should be changed at 5000k or under, anything over is poor maintenance in my book. I don't believe the hype of +7000k oils and such. I think its pure bs.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wix filters

Your oil should be changed at 5000k or under, anything over is poor maintenance in my book. I don't believe the hype of +7000k oils and such. I think its pure bs.
Even if the oil only last 1,000 miles or 1,500 miles(after 3k miles.)more it still worth it.

Every 3,000 miles is a little OCD, IMO.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just run a regular AC Delco PF52, I see no point to trying to find the best oil filter when you replace them so often with oil changes. I mean its not like we have full blown race cars. :dunno:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Even if the oil only last 1,000 miles or 1,500 miles(after 3k miles.)more it still worth it.

Every 3,000 miles is a little OCD, IMO.
Thats why I said 5000k. I know 3000k is a waste, but I do in fact do 3000k because I work at a strip mine and drive around 20 miles a day on dirt roads. This contaminates my oil. But like I said 5000k...

4500k, yes oil will be low on life and turn dark. Change your oil...

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
judging a filters performance based on oil color is silly.

Fram are bottom of the barrel filters, on any site where folks actually research and look at data on oils and filters "anything but fram" is a very common quote.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
That's a fact dwayne!

And oil is gonna turn dark from heat and trapping carbon build up vs it getting stuck on the inside of your engine, or atleast that's how it logically seems in my head... But I'm no bob the oil guy.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
judging a filters performance based on oil color is silly.

Fram are bottom of the barrel filters, on any site where folks actually research and look at data on oils and filters "anything but fram" is a very common quote.
Are you comparing the ones made in china or the ones made in the USA that is sold by fram?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I typically use Purolator. I suggest avoiding the basic Fram filters, but the Fram Ultra is good.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I typically use Purolator. I suggest avoiding the basic Fram filters, but the Fram Ultra is good.

I also use the purolator "pure one" and haven't had any issues. Sure I could spend much more on a wix and not get a combo special at the store but, is it really worth it? I change oil every 3-4k miles anyways. Not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
55 Posts
what about K&N or mobil1 oil filters?
K&N and Mobil1 are supposedly great filters, but they're pricey. I haven't used them personally, though. I have used K&N air filters, and they are awesome.

I also use the purolator "pure one" and haven't had any issues. Sure I could spend much more on a wix and not get a combo special at the store but, is it really worth it? I change oil every 3-4k miles anyways. Not worth it in my book.
I've never heard of anyone having an issue with Purolator filters. I use them mostly because of the package deals at Advance, and they're damn good for the price.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I get a huge discount on wix, if not free ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
About the only way you will know if the oil change interval is appropriate, is to do used oil analysis. I got the car in August of 2012 and sent off the sample on Friday. I had a couple of complimentary oil changes and was amazed at how fast the 3.6 motor turns an oil BLACK. Like in only 2,000-3,000 miles.

I have never had a gasoline motor turn the oil black, at least not one I've looked after, in under 3,000 miles.

I changed to Castrol Syntec as they had a good sale at Canadian Tire, and its Dexos 1 approved. Used the dealership oil filter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What oil filters do you guys use in your car?

AC Delco OE?
After Market?

After about 4,500 miles, I find that the OE type filter is no longer filtering oil and is starting to get dark.

I got a Fram "Ultra" Oil filter it claims upto 15,000 miles..
for $7 After mail rebate and decent synthetic oil. Switching to 10w/30(from 5w/30) Since it's warming up outside..
impala,

I just use the OE oil filters and ask the dealership to put in Mobil 1 and reset the oil life monitor. I beleive the AC Delcos are made by Purolator and now they offer one that's designed for synthetic oil:eek:k3:

Durango

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
last I paid attention Delco filters were made my Champion Labs.

The direct injection engines are harder on oil.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree, the DI motors do appear to be a lot harder on oil. I haven't had a car or suv turn the oil black in a LONG time. I'm still waiting on my used oil analysis report, once it comes in I will post the results.

I'm wondering if after 3 months and not quite 2,000 miles of city driving, with a lot of remote start use at malls, grocery stores, and at work, how the Dexos oil held up. The OLM claimed 55% when I changed the oil and filter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts