Impala Forums banner

Oil Filter

12K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  KG2014 
#1 ·
Ok, this question may rate right up there with the type of oil to use. I am wandering if to use the Purolater Pure-One versus the AC/Delco oil filter for my 2011 impala LT, 3.5 L. ? I saw in a parts book/computer screen at advance auto, that the AC/Delco part # is PF61 and also lists a PF61e ? Any ideas on the two different #'s for this filter from AC/Delco. I read somewhere that I should stay with OE for the oil filter and that would be the AC/Delco ? I have been using the Pure-One without any noticable problems. Of course price is also a concern since Pure-one at my local Advance Auto is $2 higher than the AC/Delco.... Thanks for the help..:10:

#8 ·
i have used fram in the past. Till i looked a the wix and fram cutaway filters side by side and filter spec and filteration # and thats all it took for my choice. WIX hands down. I wort to hard for my money and have to much respect for the engines to run any less of a filter.

#10 ·
An addition to my "wix" in everything posting

I am servicing/rebuilding the fuel system on a diesel engine that I have. The diesel injection service center that I have been dealing with are recommending Baldwin fuel filter over the Donaldson and Wix filters that I have been using. I have since done some research on Baldwin filters and they have some pretty good stats.
I will try one on the Impala for the next oil change.
They are comparative in price to the wix and in some cases show better numbers for efficiency.

Baldwin Filters | Product Highlights

FWIW

Paul

#13 ·
I have heard nothing but, positive things about the wix. But, most "deals" at auto parts stores include a "puralator one" filter which, I have been using for a while now. It seems of decent quality. I usually get 5+ qrt jug of valvoline high mileage or castrol gtx with filter for $30-35. Note: 7th gen 3.8's take 4.5qrts. I have been recently poring in 3.5qrts and a quart of lucas oil stop leak due to an lim/valve cover leak. Once I have the top end rebuilt I plan to start using Lucas Oil Stabilizer and will do the same process. This will help clean out the sludge and keep good lubrication. I have always been a fan of lucas products :eek:k3: My buddy has been running the oil stabilizer for quite some time in his 4.0 jeep and keeps crystal clear oil for some time now.

#15 ·
Dogstang,

I'm betting that Purolator and the GM Delco filters are the same. Since GM doesn't make oil filters anyway and Purolator does most likely they are identical in nature. Get which every is the cheapest unless your car is still under warranty and then you should stay with the GM Delco version.

Durango

#17 ·
Dogstang,

I'm betting that Purolator and the GM Delco filters are the same. Since GM doesn't make oil filters anyway and Purolator does most likely they are identical in nature. Get which every is the cheapest unless your car is still under warranty and then you should stay with the GM Delco version.

Durango
Fortunally I have not found an e-core Purolator oil filter....yet :hope:

Bobistheoilguy had a good writeup on oil filters and who makes what years ago. I stay away from Fram and crappy-ass Advance auto parts generic brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.