Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the car last night to see if I could get the oil filter off w/o having to lift the front of the car and when I grabbed the filter my hand came back full of oil. Car hasn't ran in 3 years. Could the gasket go bad and cause a leak w/o oil pressure? The driveway is clean and dip stick reads full, so kind of perplexed over this because the oil on my hand was wet and wasn't gritty or heat caked like you'd expect if it was an old leak with some road miles on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't think the filter gasket would leak if the filter was put on tight enough to begin with. You may have a leak from higher up on the rear of the engine. Hopefully, the oil pressure sender. Not hopefully, the rear main seal.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm getting back under the car today or tomorrow for the second oil change so will find out. I didn't see any oil on the back of the engine or front of the transmission, and the undercarriage is clean, so wherever the leak started from it either happened while sitting (which didn't seem likely to me w/o any pressure) or just started right before she was stored. I didn't see any sign of a new leak on the initial 45 minute startup run but I didn't lift the car and crawl under it. The mechanic I had service the transmission didn't say anything either, although I was so excited about getting her running I forgot to mention it and also totally forgot about greasing the wheel bearings. lol

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
LOL. New grease prob wouldn't hurt. The Initial run may have done it. I've looked and apparently it is a common leak point for us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts