Impala Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
At 35% olm oil in our 2012 is still between the 2 and 3rd dot on the stick. Car has around 140,000 miles on it, dealer has performed all but 3 of the oil changes try to always change it around the 35% mark. Only thing that will change in the future will be to NOT use the pf48 filters. Car still has a pf48 on it at this point, will be taking it to the dealer for the upcoming oil change and gonna press them on the tsb and why they had been using the wrong filter even after the tsb had come out.

Far as those leaks, are these around an oil filter relocation system? I had a 93 blazer with a 4.3 that blew the seal on the relocation adapter at the block, wife was driving it when it happened and shut it off as soon as the light came on but unknown at that time damage was done and it was out of warranty. GM came out with a recall for that after I fixed it(seems to be the norm with gm), motor several thousand miles later through a rod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 2017 Impala Premium GM Certified Car with 37,000 miles on it. Beautiful car. As nice as any Caddy I have owned. That said, I checked the oil and it is just under the 2 dots on the dipstick kind of in the upper crosshatch area. Reading some posts here, I have some questions. First of all I have experience with the GM 3.6 VVT engine- I have one in my 2006 Cadillac SRX. It has 178,000 on it still running strong. However, it has always used oil from when we got it and yes, we got the same song from Cadillac at the time- unless its using more than 1 quart in less than 2,000 miles it's 'normal'. Coupled with the unreasonable OLI these originally were programmed for, and the fact most Cadillac owners never pop the hood, many of these literally ran out of oil taking their timing chains with them. Being a motorhead I am OCD about oil checks. So I have always topped of the SRX regardless of the mileage between changes and used Mobil 1 changing it every 5-6000 miles (ignoring the silly OLI).

So my Impala says "DEXOS" on its filler cap. I am supposed to get 2 years maintenance with the car. I read on the thread here that DEXOS is a "Semi-Synthetic"? Is that correct? I live in the Midwest where it gets super cold and one thing about full synthetic is that it doesn't pick up moisture like dinosaur oil does. I don't want to run a Semi-Synthetic in the Impala. So what is the difference between DEXOS and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic? It sounds like some of you here still stick with Mobil 1, which I have used in several cars including the above mentioned SRX and a Pontiac Bonneville 3800 that still runs great with 198,000 on it. Thanks All.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just got a 2017 Impala Premium GM Certified Car with 37,000 miles on it. Beautiful car. As nice as any Caddy I have owned. That said, I checked the oil and it is just under the 2 dots on the dipstick kind of in the upper crosshatch area. Reading some posts here, I have some questions. First of all I have experience with the GM 3.6 VVT engine- I have one in my 2006 Cadillac SRX. It has 178,000 on it still running strong. However, it has always used oil from when we got it and yes, we got the same song from Cadillac at the time- unless its using more than 1 quart in less than 2,000 miles it's 'normal'. Coupled with the unreasonable OLI these originally were programmed for, and the fact most Cadillac owners never pop the hood, many of these literally ran out of oil taking their timing chains with them. Being a motorhead I am OCD about oil checks. So I have always topped of the SRX regardless of the mileage between changes and used Mobil 1 changing it every 5-6000 miles (ignoring the silly OLI).

So my Impala says "DEXOS" on its filler cap. I am supposed to get 2 years maintenance with the car. I read on the thread here that DEXOS is a "Semi-Synthetic"? Is that correct? I live in the Midwest where it gets super cold and one thing about full synthetic is that it doesn't pick up moisture like dinosaur oil does. I don't want to run a Semi-Synthetic in the Impala. So what is the difference between DEXOS and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic? It sounds like some of you here still stick with Mobil 1, which I have used in several cars including the above mentioned SRX and a Pontiac Bonneville 3800 that still runs great with 198,000 on it. Thanks All.
Dexos is not a type of oil, it is a certification that it meets GM's Minimum Standards. Just about all the major brands meet or exceed this standard and have the Dexos logo on their bottles including Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Kind of interesting topic. Think there may be another thread or maybe more floating around on the same issue and it was said that gm acknowledges oil loss up to I think it was a half qt per 3000 miles on the 3.6 as normal. Sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong on that.

Before earlier this year, we never had any issues with oil consumption or loss.(knock on wood) Our 2012 3.6 at an oil change earlier this year was just a little low, maybe a half qt. I changed to castrol edge 5w-30 from the magnatec 5w-30 I had been using. Both are dexos approved but the edge is full synthetic while the magnatec is a blend. With over 170,000 miles on the car now and due for the next change it has not used or lost any oil this time, it was at 38 percent remaining on the olm when I last checked it last weekend. Was going to go with the edge again, however last 2 trips to walmart they had none, so picked up valvoline full synthetic instead and will be changing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic in my 3.6 L Impala for the past 3 years. Last January, when the temperature hit -25, the oil performed perfectly. Most non-synthetic oils would probably handle temperatures well below zero as long as they're the proper weight for cold weather. I was using 5W-30 for years and it withstood the cold without any problems. Just be sure to keep your tank full.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Dexos oil that GM dealers and the factory was using was semi synthetic. Now, they have switched to full synthetic. The dexos spec is a slight increase in some kind of anti wear additive, I don't know which one it is. This was done to help the timing chain stretch and guide wear problems that some GM engines have. GM was charging the oil manufacturing companies $50 a barrel to put the Dexos brand on their oil bottles. I don't if that is still going on or not.

The 3.6l engine holds 6 quarts, so being 1 quart low is not as serious as it once was. For instance, the 3.5l & 3.9l engines in the 8th gen Impalas from 06-11 only held 4.5 quarts. The old v8 engines from the 50's through the 80's for the most part, only held 5 quarts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I changed the oil & filter in my '15 Impala last night. At 5000 miles the OLM showed 38%, and about 5 quarts drained out. I've been using Quaker State full synthetic for about 2 years now. It's about $5 less per 5qt jug at Walmart than all the other brands, other than Walmart's own brand. It actually tests better than the other brands. I use the AC PF63 filter also.

·
Super Moderator
10,911 Posts
I just watched a YouTube video on timing chains on a caddy 3.6. Guy apparently has done a lot of them because of low oil and oil consumption. There is apparently an issue with how the PCV system gets its vapors from the engine through the valve cover and an "updated" valve cover gasket is available from GM. I will try and find the video and post a link to it.

https://youtu.be/7YaZLY91HD0

·
Registered
294 Posts
So, I wander when GM started using the new design cam cover gasket for the right bank the guy was talking about? That would be an easy enough job for any DIY mechanic, I think. My car was manufactured in July, 2014. As I previously posted, 1 quart low @ 5K mile change isn't too bad, but it may get worse as the miles roll on, and crankcase blow-by increases. The car currently is at 40K miles

·
Registered
130 Posts
So, I wander when GM started using the new design cam cover gasket for the right bank the guy was talking about? That would be an easy enough job for any DIY mechanic, I think. My car was manufactured in July, 2014. As I previously posted, 1 quart low @ 5K mile change isn't too bad, but it may get worse as the miles roll on, and crankcase blow-by increases. The car currently is at 40K miles
I have a 2015 at 88k miles. Doesn't use a drop between changes. Not sure if I'm lucky or if that's typical

21 - 32 of 32 Posts