Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was wondering if other 3.6 engines are using oil,as mine does just around 3k a quart. Dealer says its normal,but i think its ridiculous to add two quarts between changes.Have 39 k on it and noticed the loss starting around 30k. My verano did the same and the dealer did nothing. Never used a drop with the 2.4. untill around 60k.now it also uses around a quart every 3k. What gives, GM claims they wont do anything unless its around 2k and under. What a joke.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hi, was wondering if other 3.6 engines are using oil,as mine does just around 3k a quart. Dealer says its normal,but i think its ridiculous to add two quarts between changes.Have 39 k on it and noticed the loss starting around 30k. My verano did the same and the dealer did nothing. Never used a drop with the 2.4. untill around 60k.now it also uses around a quart every 3k. What gives, GM claims they wont do anything unless its around 2k and under. What a joke.

I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - purchased new with the 3.6 engine. It replaced a 2012 LTZ with the 3.6 engine.

The 2012 model did not use any oil. It now has about 38,xxx miles on it.

The 2014 model uses about 1/2 quart in about 3,000 miles. It now has 29,xxx miles on it. It is driven in mostly suburban or semi-rural areas and we live in the Midwest with below zero winters and 90+ summers.

I have had the oil changed at the dealer on the 2014 since new (came with 2-years free maintenance), but have changed the oil myself probably twice using synthetic. The dealer uses Dexos 1 semi-synthetic. The dealer was initially using the WRONG Delco oil filter (PF-48 instead of PF63E). I do not know if that incorrect oil filter has had a bearing on the minimal oil consumption.

My only advice would be to keep a close eye on the oil level and document any amounts that you add. You did not mention what year vehicle you have or how many miles are on the engine. Is the vehicle still covered under the GM power train warranty?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - purchased new with the 3.6 engine. It replaced a 2012 LTZ with the 3.6 engine.

The 2012 model did not use any oil. It now has about 38,xxx miles on it.

The 2014 model uses about 1/2 quart in about 3,000 miles. It now has 29,xxx miles on it. It is driven in mostly suburban or semi-rural areas and we live in the Midwest with below zero winters and 90+ summers.

I have had the oil changed at the dealer on the 2014 since new (came with 2-years free maintenance), but have changed the oil myself probably twice using synthetic. The dealer uses Dexos 1 semi-synthetic. The dealer was initially using the WRONG Delco oil filter (PF-48 instead of PF63E). I do not know if that incorrect oil filter has had a bearing on the minimal oil consumption.

My only advice would be to keep a close eye on the oil level and document any amounts that you add. You did not mention what year vehicle you have or how many miles are on the engine. Is the vehicle still covered under the GM power train warranty?
Similar experience here with dealer using the pf48 filter. Had also used the same filter myself on the last two oil changes I did myself before learning here that gm had issued a tech bulletin on the proper filter. With over 138,000 miles the 3.6 in our 2012 is not using any oil between changes(knocking on wood). We go between 5000-6000 on changes or when the olm shows around 30 percent life remaining.

With that few miles agree with the above, should still be under warranty, would be demanding that something be done to correct the issue because that is too much oil being lost or burned between changes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't use much oil but I am using Full Synthetic which seems to last longer. I had the dealer do the last change because they were running an unbeatable special and that was a couple weeks ago. Says next change in June. The Oil life monitor is set for 3k so don't go by that unless you want to change every 3k. Synthetic oil can go 5-6k and will probably need a quart before that time. I'm at 42k miles on my 2015.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't use much oil but I am using Full Synthetic which seems to last longer. I had the dealer do the last change because they were running an unbeatable special and that was a couple weeks ago. Says next change in June. The Oil life monitor is set for 3k so don't go by that unless you want to change every 3k. Synthetic oil can go 5-6k and will probably need a quart before that time. I'm at 42k miles on my 2015.
Are saying you are using a quart every change? Kinda surprised if that is the case with that low of miles. Be interested in hearing more about those folks burning oil with such low mileage in the 3.6's as to how they are driving.

Maybe maven or any other gm tech could chime in here from a mechanic standpoint. These cars imo with that low of miles should not be burning or losing oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I go through about a quart of 5-30 Mobil 1 in 5,000 miles. Dealer says that is in spec. Dealer says 1qt in 2,000 miles is excessive. I don't remember what the FSM says. It is what I would consider excessive. I had a 72 Buick GS with the 350 that would go through 1 qt in about 2 tanks of fuel. I put a different PCV valve in that had a higher vacuum rating. That stopped the oil usage. I wonder if that could be part of the problem with these 3.6's?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS my crap box is a 2015 impala 2LT

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think there is something to be said for strictly following the requirements and recommendations for correct oil and fuel use on the direct injection GM engines.

I use only a full synthetic oil, Mobil 1 EP 5W30, from WallyWorld, and Top Tier fuel, from Costco, to keep costs down, and I don't notice people who religiously follow these recommendations have that many problems.

Avoiding these issues is the key, once you have them, cures are not to be had.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've always run Mobil 1 5-30, currently Mobil 1 5-30 EP and top tier fuel. I still have what I consider excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just checked the oil. At just under 2,000 miles on this OCI, the oil level is at the next lower raised dot in the crosshatch below the raised dot at the full line. Probably not enough consumption to be very concerned about, but I've never had any engine that uses this amount of oil without leaks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 15 LTZ with 22000 mi and nothing but Mobil 1 every 5000 mi and napa gold filter uses no oil at all I also use top tier fuel and a bottel of Techron every couple thousand mi.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My car has seen WOT at least once a day since day one (14 2LT) and religiously use Mobil1EP or Castrol Edge at about 4500miles. Never seen more than 1/2qt low, typically about 8oz

That said, every engine is different and GM spec is in fact >1qt/2000miles. If youre using <1qt/2000miles GM will not authorize repairs.

Short trips in cold weather are really bad for this engine and can lead to PCV system icing and excessive oil consumption. So does cheap or non-spec oil, its been my experience that non top-tier, and low octane fuel usage exaggerate any issues as well.

All the modern GM engines use low tension piston rings which allows more oil consumption compared to traditional ring packages.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Short trips in cold weather are really bad for this engine and can lead to PCV system icing and excessive oil consumption. So does cheap or non-spec oil, its been my experience that non top-tier, and low octane fuel usage exaggerate any issues as well.
So, can the PVC system be de-iced/repaired/cleaned out . . .?

If cheap or non-spec oil has been used, can using full synthetic improve or fix the oil consumption?

Same with top-tier fuel. If not used in the past, can switching improve the situation?

Reason I ask is that I bought my car used and have no way of knowing how it was driven or maintained. I think it was maintained by the dealer because it was a lease car (2yr/20,000 miles), but I have no way of knowing driving habits or type of gas used.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Basically yes to all, if volatile cheap oil was being used, a high quality oil will reduce consumption, same goes for fuel use, and cleaning the PCV system if thats the cause.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Only use full synthetic oil in these engines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I switched from Mobil 1 5-30 to Penns Oil Platnium made from natural gas the claim is it cleans. Will see if its true

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 06 has always had Mobil 1 (5W20) and never used a drop between changes, however, I recently developed a leak in the oil filter housing gasket that drips on the garage floor and is really beginning to piss me off. I've heard the fix is $150.00 (with parts). Is this about right?

·
Super Moderator
10,911 Posts
Something around that, or less.

There is a thread on here someplace with all the tools,parts, suggestions and size of swear jar needed.

Does not look all that difficult actually.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
My 06 has always had Mobil 1 (5W20) and never used a drop between changes, however, I recently developed a leak in the oil filter housing gasket that drips on the garage floor and is really beginning to piss me off. I've heard the fix is $150.00 (with parts). Is this about right?
This is the 3.5 liter LZ4? I had that in my 07 Pontiac G6. Had the leak, too :)

It's not too bad of a repair. $150 seems reasonable.

If you do it yourself, the trickiest part (IMO) is moving the AC compressor out of the way in order to access one of the three bolts. I suspended mine with some small ropes, IIRC.

Also, take careful note of the orientation of the gasket when you take it out. That can save you some time later.

HTH.

Doug

1 - 20 of 32 Posts