Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should you get oil changes on the 2005 Chevy Impala and what is the best brand of oil to use.

·
Registered
657 Posts
you can go longer without an oil change if you use a synthetic. i use royal purple 5w30 and change my oil twice a year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It depends on how you drive the car, how the car was maintained, how many miles on the engine.. Either way use 5w30 since that is what the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
197 Posts
you can go longer without an oil change if you use a synthetic. i use royal purple 5w30 and change my oil twice a year.

ahh the no facts answer.

way too many variables. Engine, Driving Habits, Climate, etc. You can certainly go longer OCIs when driving highways miles, because condensation is removed from the oil because of hot temps. However blindly recommending an oil change interval and oil choice as above is stupid. used Oil Analysis's are cheap, and a good way of determining what oil is and isn't good for you car.

In reality, if you could care less any API SM rated oil would be fine for use in a standard 3-5K OCI. Whether synthetic or conventional. When you start caring about lower wear numbers, extended drain intervals, and max protection it pays to research. I've found from UOAs on my wife's 01 cavalier if likes Mobil Clean 5000 (conventional oil) 10w30. It will go 6K with ease on that oil. When I find it on sale I can get 5 quarts (4 quart sump) and filter for $10. Comparing UOAs, that oil had better #s than someone else with similiar driving habits and the same car/engine combo using Mobil 1 with a shorter Oil change interval.

Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Change mine every 3 months or 5K kms, whichever comes first and I've had no problems with this interval. I also use Lucas Oil Additive with every oil change. I want to keep this motor running nice until it's paid off!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm going to throw this into the mix just for fun. My ex grandfather in-law worked in the oil industry for 40+ years, never changed his oil, he said that oil doesn't wear out unless you over heat it. He changed his filter twice a year, spring & fall and topped it off. He had over 100K miles on a Rambler Ambassador that ran like new......You figure it out.

I've had old school cars that would go 4-5-K on a change with dino and a good filter...3k mile changes was & is a marketing ploy, might have held a little water years ago but not now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm going to throw this into the mix just for fun. My ex grandfather in-law worked in the oil industry for 40+ years, never changed his oil, he said that oil doesn't wear out unless you over heat it. He changed his filter twice a year, spring & fall and topped it off. He had over 100K miles on a Rambler Ambassador that ran like new......You figure it out.

I've had old school cars that would go 4-5-K on a change with dino and a good filter...3k mile changes was & is a marketing ploy, might have held a little water years ago but not now.

oil doesn't wear out unless as you said you get it near flashpoint. However the add pack does wear out

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I was looking in my service manual for my caprice and it appears to say 12k OCI, not that I would go that long but... Anyway, 3k 3 months has never been necessary but anyones standards save for the oil companies. I personally think 6k is good. But to the original point, you have an 06? Isn't there a computer that tells you when to change it? I have 2 06's and 4 07's that I maintain for my job that all have that feature. The computer supposedly monitors driving conditions and temp and goes by that. Typically we go 5500 to 6000 intervals, and the computer still says 15% remaining.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts