Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my oil still good? it has 5,000 miles on it so far. I do not see any particles in it. Only added 1 qt so far @ 3500 miles.

Been using Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Performance 15k miles 5W30

Attachments

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Yeah that poo stain rag tells alot. Jk jk change the oil in it. Imo 5k is too long even for a synthetic. I dont buy into all that bs 7k a oil change synthetic nonsense.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The only way to know for sure if the oil is any good or not is to take a sample and send it in for analysis to Blackstone Labs. But the cost of the analysis is about as much as an oil change so you might as well just change it.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that poo stain rag tells alot. Jk jk change the oil in it. Imo 5k is too long even for a synthetic. I dont buy into all that bs 7k a oil change synthetic nonsense.
yeah i changed it at 129k now it's at 134k

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Colour is not a way to determine the quality of your oil. What I do is pull the stick and rub the oil between my fingers... Often you can feel things you can't see or can tell if the oil has thinned out.. If its thin like water or definitely not an oily feel then replace.

·
Registered
848 Posts
poo stain :giggle:

5K is fine for Mobil 1. I ran Mobil 1 in my 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3l for 250K miles since it came off the showroom and looked perfectly fine when I sold it last fall. I changed the oil & Mobil 1 filter ever 6K or so.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colour is not a way to determine the quality of your oil. What I do is pull the stick and rub the oil between my fingers... Often you can feel things you can't see or can tell if the oil has thinned out.. If its thin like water or definitely not an oily feel then replace.
I'll check it later since it's raining right now

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well I understand the question. In years to come, and as oil gets more expensive and the value of the dollar drops, oil changes will become mroe and more expensive. So saving money in the long run by spacing out oil changes may save you a small but substantial amount of cash. And buying synthetic certainly means you are spending more and want your oil to go longer.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
3K mile changes were for lesser quality oils decades ago when you had carburetors polluting the oil with unburned fuel and carbon.
So those who believe in 3K mile changes are way off the mark. Even more off the mark than those who blindly believe in M1.

On the oil analysis thing for a car it isn't worth testing constantly BUT you could consider say testing your chosen oil at an interval that you would like to change i at and let the lab tell you if that is reasonable to continue with.

IMO most folks who change oil even at 5K miles would be comfortable going longer if they sent a sample for testing and saw the measured condition.

My wife's '03 Impala 3.4l has had nothing but dealer quick lube changes at intervals ranging from 3000 miles till whenever the change oil light came on. I told her to stick to maybe 5K-ish. Car is something over 195K miles and no indications of impending engine troubles. I will say I have never had a oil analysis done on her car, then again since it has always had dealership bulk oil I don't even know what oil it has gotten. We bought the car new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll never forget my buddies parents who had a '90 Accord who hadn't changed their oil in over 100k miles.

Contrary to popular belief, the car did not die an apocalyptic engine death due to old oil. It actually lasted a few more years before they traded it in for a brand new Accord in the late 90's. Yes, the oil was black as coal.

Personally, I go 5-6k miles on all my vehicles, and more like 4-5k on my semi-synth motorcycles before I prep for an oil change. 5k +/-1k miles is a comfortable interval for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even with running a synthetic oil, I wouldn't push it pass 6000 miles between changes. It also depends on your driving habits. If its mainly stop and go driving that you're doing I'd recommend getting it changed about every 5000.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm a 3000 mile guy... I would rather spend a few extra bucks every few months than a couple thousand on an engine... IMO

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
While I agree oil is a LOT cheaper than an engine that argument is basically invalid because back as far as the LT1 b-bodies the oil change light was set to go as long as 7500miles and that was warranty-able and that was really just a very minor re-engineering of the old smallblock, still had a distributor even, spur gear oilpump not a new gerotor style which makes for more steady pressure.

Who is seeing examples of engine damage from 5-7K mile changes???? How about oil analysis samples showing oil is shot at such low miles?

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a 3000 mile guy... I would rather spend a few extra bucks every few months than a couple thousand on an engine... IMO
who buys a new engine for this thing?

YOU upgrade to a used SUPER CHARGED engine with HD transmission..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I gotta agree with Dwayne here.

Show me the data that extending oil changes an extra 1 or 2k (under normal highway/street driving) correlates to eventual engine replacement.

Seems to me an engine is more likely to fail due to LACK of lubrication (not maintaining proper oil LEVELS) or allowing the coolant system to overheat the engine. Not due to extended oil change intervals.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I gotta agree with Dwayne here.

Show me the data that extending oil changes an extra 1 or 2k (under normal highway/street driving) correlates to eventual engine replacement.

Seems to me an engine is more likely to fail due to LACK of lubrication (not maintaining proper oil LEVELS) or allowing the coolant system to overheat the engine. Not due to extended oil change intervals.
I'm with this :beer:

the only time I took a wrench to my 250K mile 5.3l truck motor was to change the serpentine belt and spark plugs. Ran smooth with even compression all around.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I'm glad all you guys have these random stories about motors lasting but even if you aren't pulling it out of your ass you the exception not the standard.

Btw how many brand new Gm Carrs just got the recall about the oil life monitor being off?

You keep trusting a computer the motors now a days are a lot more expensive and harder to work on than a old motors.

Btw I was talking to people wanting to go over 5k miles guess I should have quoted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm glad all you guys have these random stories about motors lasting but even if you aren't pulling it out of your ass you the exception not the standard.

Btw how many brand new Gm Carrs just got the recall about the oil life monitor being off?

You keep trusting a computer the motors now a days are a lot more expensive and harder to work on than a old motors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Seems a bit harsh.

Can't speak for the others, but I used the odometer and OLM on my GMC. I have never heard of a motor failing or requiring major repairs due to waiting 6-7K to change the oil and I've been around a lot of high mileage vehicles. :beer:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts