Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a good way to raise the vehicle without a lot of money any suggestions on truck frames that might fit under a 79 impala that will be easy to put a front dif. and chevy manual 5 speeds that will work with a 350 chevy sb and any other sugeestions that might be good for a 50/50 on offroad carparts tires rims anything

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have only seen one picture of a off road Impala but I don't remember where. Best way to find the frame would be to measure the Impala's wheel base and then find a donor truck with the same wheel base. You may then need to add to or cut from the frame to make the body of the Impala fit. If money is not to hard to come buy and you know a good frame shop that like custom challenges then buy the truck with the power train (engine, tranny, transfer case, and both axles) you want and have it adjusted to bolt the Impala body on to it. That would be easier then trying to make a 4X4 off the Impala's frame.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Id like to see the offroad Impala...
They used a completely different chassie didnt they? Axles front and back, right?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
There was never an official off road version of the Impala made by GM. Any that you might have seen were total custom done.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^ Those are great.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I don't think I'd wanna race that second one off-road.

I'm thinking standard cab long bed pick-ups might have the same wheelbase, worth a look.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Ofcourse no official offroad, found some on YouTube. Looks like redneck offroads though, nothing fancy

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Since I for some reason cannot get that out of my mind.

Buy a bunch of poly body bushings about 3" high, a locker diff and some poly over the springs and kablam - offroad! I think Im gonna do that, just because! ;)

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
But then all you've done is to raise the body, the frame and drivetrain will still be just as close to the ground as before. And still 2WD

·
Registered
823 Posts
buy some adjustable arms. Tall 1500 bag cups and some tall air bags.

Or IIRC the 1500 2wd springs are interchanable with ours up front a front lift kit and 4 " coil spacer would get you off the ground.

There are a couple donk companies that make full lifts for the impala and caprice.

Any way you do it is a bad idea. and I hope you wouldnt drive it near me lol.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Spacers on the springs aswell and its done.
Its not much more clearance on these cars than a "offroad" truck anyway. Mostly looks.
Why would it be a bad idea? Except it looks weird that is. Its nothing fancy under there anyway, prob share alot with the trucks of the same age. Except the frame is differently shaped as far as I can see.

No, I wont drive it there. Id drive it here, where everything is legal, or at least not very illegal. :lol: This is the land of the free - down here... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts