Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all im new to this forum and i wondered if ne1 had the same problem that im having.....wen i drive my car the odometer reads that im traveling waaayy more then i really am such as if i drive down the street to the store and back the odometer will read like 5-7 miles when in reality i only drove like 2 miles at the most has any1 ever experinced this problem and can i reverse this???:confused:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hello all im new to this forum and i wondered if ne1 had the same problem that im having.....wen i drive my car the odometer reads that im traveling waaayy more then i really am such as if i drive down the street to the store and back the odometer will read like 5-7 miles when in reality i only drove like 2 miles at the most has any1 ever experinced this problem and can i reverse this???:confused:
post what year car u ahve so if people look at your post they can answer better

i think he said he bought a 00'

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Your speedometer and odometers are electric. If the speedometer is reading correctly then the problem is the odometer. You could try to change the VSS and see if that solves it. But most likely you will need a new odometer unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea my speedometer is working fine its just my odometer and my trip meter....what is a vss? and how much do odometer units go for new or at a junk yard??

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
VSS is Vehicle Speed Sensor. It is located in the rear axle (sometimes on the tranny) on RWD and on the trans-axle of the FWD cars.

Not sure what the going price is. If Speedometer is working fine then replace the Odometer unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car was made in canada does that have anything to do with my odometer reading because it doesnt say miles anywhere so possibly it cud b kilometers?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
That is very possible. I do not have any idea how to change it to miles if it is digital odometer. If mechanical then you will not be able to change it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
dude, all of our cars were built in the oshawa, ontario plant. post a pic of your speedo cluster and i can tell you.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have started to experience issues with my odometer. It will randomly just start freaking out. Last night it read 282774 then it went to 289999 and back and forth. Is there soemthing I can do to service this myself?

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have started to experience issues with my odometer. It will randomly just start freaking out. Last night it read 282774 then it went to 289999 and back and forth. Is there soemthing I can do to service this myself?
Anyone?

It now will drop the miles down to 263,000; usually after the outside temps start to get warm or after about 20 minutes of driving, and then back up to real miles. I hope someone can help me out.

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
What a piece of crap car. Man, odometer failing at only a quarter million plus miles! (j/k)

No ideas, just impressed with those kind of miles....

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
What a piece of crap car. Man, odometer failing at only a quarter million plus miles! (j/k)

No ideas, just impressed with those kind of miles....
Yeah, I am pleased with this car. I intend to keep it. It was the First car my wife and I bought as a couple (even before we had bought our wedding rings). It is the car we took on our Honeymoon and it is the car my Son came home from the Hospital in. I guess I can contact Dakota Digital to see if they have anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts