Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I own a 2008 LT. Recently I have been feeling and hearing what sounds like a grinding sound, not sure where it is from. Also the car is making the classic, woob woob woob sound when driving. The grinding noise is only heard at a slow speed while negotiating a curve or turn. I still have the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty but the dealer said it is $90 just to look at the car and if it is nothing to do with the powertrain than I am responsible for the charges. I know how to work on cars well so and ideas on where to start or any solutions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The fact that the dealer wants $90 to look at a 2008 still under warranty car that the customer hears grinding sounds coming from... that doesn't speak too highly of the dealer.

I'd check the brake pads and the tires for starters.

You could phone some place like Firestone, Sears or Goodyear and likely they'll look at it for free; that's how they get business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car has 51,000 miles, so it is out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I would rather do the work my self than take it to a dealer. If anyone knows anything about this issue I am having or has a solution, i would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've had a few cars with worn front brake pads that the wear chirper (indicator) would only scrape when I was cornering, and I'd only hear it when I was going slow because noise at higher speeds would mask it. That's what I thought of when I read about your grinding sound.

Is the woob woob sound an engine sound or a rolling (from the wheels turning) sound?

Does it change when you go from drive to coasting in neutral, and can you make your car do it while it's just idling if you rev it?

One would steer me towards an unbalanced tire, the other towards an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the woob woob woob is only when the car is moving in drive or neutral. The only time it grinds is when the car is making a slow turn.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Please dont take this as an insult, but are the lug nuts secured on all tires? Ive had it happen to me before where the A-hole who worked on it (myself) did not properly secure the lugs. I noticed that same sound as a result.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok....i know i am going to get some heat for this...I had to get a tire replaced and I went and got a "like new tire" from one of those places that does a tire change in like 5 minutes. the grinding started as soon as I drove off the lot. Any ideas, i am going down to check the lug nuts now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checked the lug nuts, they are all tight. I had a complete 4 wheel alignment done 2 weeks ago and that didnt solve the problem.

·
Banned
351 Posts
ok....i know i am going to get some heat for this...I had to get a tire replaced and I went and got a "like new tire" from one of those places that does a tire change in like 5 minutes. the grinding started as soon as I drove off the lot. Any ideas, i am going down to check the lug nuts now.
Did you turn around and ask them WTF they could have done to cause it? Im sure if you go back and talk to them in a non-threatening way simply looking for ideas as to what could have heppened, they may lead you in the right direction. If you start saying you want them to pay to fix it, they wont tell you shit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was going to say CV joint until I saw the bit about the tire.

Why did you have to get a tire replaced? My '05 ate a front wheel bearing in 70K of normal driving, got it replaced, hit a bad pothole a week later, didn't pop the tire, but wheel bearing started making noise again :(

Does it get worse when you take a fast-ish curve in one direction but get better when you go in the opposite direction? If so that is classic wheel bearing noise, the bad one is usually the one that is on the side of the car that is to the outside of the curve that makes the noise louder (e.g. if the noise gets louder on a curve to the right, the bad one is on the left side of the car.)

good luck

nate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it doesn't seem to do it at all or at least i dont feel it when i am taking a fast curve. it seems to be worse when I turn left than when I turn right. I just took it to a shop, they are going to look at it and than get back to me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Getting just one tire replaced is always iffy since they're seldom the same... I've heard that the metal bands actually get bent in one direction so if you swap them left for right that funny stuff will occur.

Last year I put Sears Guardsman tires on my wagon, they cost $55 each and the Sears guy said that they were made by Bridgestone. They're fine for street cars, not really bad at all, probably as good as what you'd get on lots of new cars.

good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I going to say CV joint, Why it makes the noise while turning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts