Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am having an issue with my 03 impala.

When I am accelerating in town it, sometimes it will slip and feel like I am not even in a gear. It will rev up to 4-5k RPM and has no effect on my car's acceleration, just like the car is in neutral. I will let off the gas for a second and it will shift gears and run fine.

This is extremely sporadic and some days it will act up 2-3 times, other times it will go a week without an issue.

A side note, just got my wife a decked out impala lt...PUMPED!

·
Registered
67 Posts
did you check the trans fluid level or did the shop you took your car to 6 months ago tell you it is fine? Did the problem happen before or after you took your car to that shop? I'm not trying to say you are a dumb ass or something. I have worked at a few shops over the years and most of the people that work at oil change places are complete idiots. If they have a sign that sais "hiring" "no experience necessary" don't go there. If fluid level is good, then it sounds like fluid pressure is low, could be pump going out, or blockade to the servos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my brother-in-law did the filter change and flushing. I checked the levels myself, in neutral on level ground.

I think I might take it to a tranny shop, I tried one in town and they didn't even look at the vehicle and told me I needed it rebuilt, find a place that does diagnostics

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
my brother-in-law did the filter change and flushing. I checked the levels myself, in neutral on level ground.

I think I might take it to a tranny shop, I tried one in town and they didn't even look at the vehicle and told me I needed it rebuilt, find a place that does diagnostics
ehhhh that may not be such a line of bull. My dad is a mechanic but he hates tranny work so when his van's went (for the 3rd time), he knew who to go to and the guy was honest- he said "if we have to take it apart to find out what's wrong with it (in detail), we might as well just rebuild it." Now don't get me wrong, we're far from living the good life- we got mostly empty pockets- but it was really the only logical option at the time.

So he MIGHT be right about the rebuild, so don't write it off so soon ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
ehhhh that may not be such a line of bull. My dad is a mechanic but he hates tranny work so when his van's went (for the 3rd time), he knew who to go to and the guy was honest- he said "if we have to take it apart to find out what's wrong with it (in detail), we might as well just rebuild it." Now don't get me wrong, we're far from living the good life- we got mostly empty pockets- but it was really the only logical option at the time.

So he MIGHT be right about the rebuild, so don't write it off so soon ;)
I agree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts