Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Impala, about 64,000 miles.
Hearing a strange noise for awhile but haven't been able to track it down. It's a squeak like metal on metal coming from the rear end of the car.
Could be rear brake wear sensors, but doesn't happen when I brake.
No set time when it happens. Hear it mostly when I backup, or pull forward from a parking space. Then it goes completely away. Like the rotors are just cold?
Never on the freeway or in a turn.
Anyone else have this problem? What was it? Did you fix it yourself?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
We have a 2012 as well. Don't off the top of my head recall the exact mileage, but I changed the front brakes on ours after hearing what I thought was the brake squealers. Pretty sure it was after 70,000. The original pads were still pretty decent(had about 65-70 percent of the pads left compared to the new) and should not have been causing an issue, but after changing them the noise went away.

About the only other thing I would think might be the issue could be a bad wheel bearing. Had one on the front on our car, dealership caught it while doing an alignment. We never heard it making any noise at all.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You might want to check the parking brake. On my 2010 the lining came completely off the parking brake shoe and jammed inside of the drum. Before this happened I was hearing an occasional metal on metal squeak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might want to check the parking brake. On my 2010 the lining came completely off the parking brake shoe and jammed inside of the drum. Before this happened I was hearing an occasional metal on metal squeak.
That's about what it sounds like, but my car has rear disk brakes.

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's mostly after the car's been sitting and the rear rotors/pads cool, then goes away after it's driven. I'll add grinding to the description - it's a grinding noise that stops after the rear rotors/pads warm up and happens mostly in reverse like when backing out of a parking space. Is there some kind of adjuster for the pads/rotors on these cars when you're in reverse? These are not rear drum brakes.

If it was the wear indicator for the rear pads, I don't think the noise would stop after it warmed up. Why is there no noise when I stop at a light or stop sign?

Very strange. Guess I could go ahead and replace rear pads/rotors.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's mostly after the car's been sitting and the rear rotors/pads cool, then goes away after it's driven. I'll add grinding to the description - it's a grinding noise that stops after the rear rotors/pads warm up and happens mostly in reverse like when backing out of a parking space. Is there some kind of adjuster for the pads/rotors on these cars when you're in reverse? These are not rear drum brakes.

If it was the wear indicator for the rear pads, I don't think the noise would stop after it warmed up. Why is there no noise when I stop at a light or stop sign?

Very strange. Guess I could go ahead and replace rear pads/rotors.
I've heard this too, both on the '10 and on this '16.

I hear it only when I back out of the drive at 3:30AM, and I don't really pay any attention to it. Normally, if it is happening, I don't hear it anymore, like I've become immune to it. I only really back up once per trip, on the way to work and on the way home, both when the brakes are cold. If I stop for gas, it's park to drive. If I stop at the store for groceries or something, I don't notice it happening then, when the brakes are warm.

I do the brake work, so on the '10, I never worried about what it was, as I kept the brakes in excellent shape. On this '16, they are still fairly new, at 43,000, with 98% being highway miles with the cruise on.

I've always thought it was something on all of them, that nobody ever really says anything about, since it's in reverse, and seemingly only when they're cold.

I've even heard it this week; but I don't really ever notice it anymore, but I did hear it one day this week.

You may have a problem, I don't know, but I'm saying I've heard this for years and years, on another car and this one, and the brakes always work fine.

I always figured, when they stop working right, then I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
2012 Impala, about 64,000 miles.
Hearing a strange noise for awhile but haven't been able to track it down. It's a squeak like metal on metal coming from the rear end of the car.
Could be rear brake wear sensors, but doesn't happen when I brake.
No set time when it happens. Hear it mostly when I backup, or pull forward from a parking space. Then it goes completely away. Like the rotors are just cold?
Never on the freeway or in a turn.
Anyone else have this problem? What was it? Did you fix it yourself?

Thanks

Check the parking brake cable on the left (driver) side of the car, under the car (about under the back seat and forward of the LR tire), where it passes through a twisted metal bracket that supports the cable. The cable sheath wears while rubbing on the metal bracket, causing an intermittent noise. If worn, you can split a section of rubber fuel line and wrap it around the sheath inside the bracket, using zip-ties.

I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, and previous owned 2008, 2011 and 2012 Impala LTZ models.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've had a metal squeak noise from the back on my impala over certain bumps as well. It was the parking brake cables squeaking in their brackets. To fix all I did was adjust the cables to take the slack out of them and that eliminated the noise. I know GM has a TSB about this.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
Check the parking brake cable on the left (driver) side of the car, under the car (about under the back seat and forward of the LR tire), where it passes through a twisted metal bracket that supports the cable.
This is not only an issue with the driver side of the car. I had the issue with the right side as well. Good thing to look at either way.

I had this too. I believe he does not have a parking brake shoe though. I think they swapped to the type that uses the caliper for the 2012+ models (the kind you need to screw back in when doing brake jobs, not sure what they are called), not the hat style rotor with shoes. My 2008 had the shoe, my 2013 does not. I imagine they made the switch at 2012 when they changed everything else.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I had this too. I believe he does not have a parking brake shoe though. I think they swapped to the type that uses the caliper for the 2012+ models (the kind you need to screw back in when doing brake jobs, not sure what they are called), not the hat style rotor with shoes. My 2008 had the shoe, my 2013 does not. I imagine they made the switch at 2012 when they changed everything else.
I can confirm that my 2012 also has the newer style e-brake setup. If I remember correctly, I *think* this changed in 2011. But a 2012 definitely has the newer, non-shoe type of e-brake (the type where the regular brake pads are used to apply the e-brake).

Sent from my Vi10 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it in for tire rotation.
Said passenger side rear caliper was frozen, needed new calipers, pads and rotors.
The mechanic advised me to use parking brake once a week or so to keep caliper from freezing again.

They said this will fix the squeak.
Doesn't seem to stop any different now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts