Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed inspection (suprise to me) today because my OBD will not send my info to the NJ Inspection Station's computer.. neither will my buddys Android OBD reader or Advance Auto's reader..

I've checked the fuses an they are good, I took out the OBD socket an checked the pins and they are all clean and tight, so now I'm outta ideas.. I have no check engine lights illimunitated, and when I start her up, the CEL does come on for a few seconds then shuts off (like it normally should) I also installed my new ignition switch yesterday thinking that was the cuprit an it wasnt

Tomorrow I plan on taking my dash apart completely and following all the grounds and wires with my multimeter unless someone had the same problem and knows the fix.. so she's gonna stay parked in my driveway until I can fix it, because a local cop that's a good friend of mine said that it can be upwards to a $250 ticket!

Taking it to a shop will be expensive for them just to chase ground wires (an that's something I can easily do)

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That sucks... It's either a wiring issue between the data port and the PCM, or an internal fault with the PCM. Got a wiring diagram? I would unplug the PCM, and start checking continuity from the data port to the PCM connections.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The DLC is powered by a 10A Cluster/BCM fuse in the left side IP junction block. At the DLC the power wire will be at pin 16 wich would be an orange wire. Pin 4 is ground and it would be a black wire. pin 5 is also a ground and is black/white.

·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still having the problem just can't find a warm place to track down the ground wires.. but I did check all the bcm/cluster/dlc fuses and they are all clean and in tact

I'll update when this damn weather warms up

·
Banned
667 Posts
I failed inspection (suprise to me) today because my OBD will not send my info to the NJ Inspection Station's computer.. neither will my buddys Android OBD reader or Advance Auto's reader..

I've checked the fuses an they are good, I took out the OBD socket an checked the pins and they are all clean and tight, so now I'm outta ideas.. I have no check engine lights illimunitated, and when I start her up, the CEL does come on for a few seconds then shuts off (like it normally should) I also installed my new ignition switch yesterday thinking that was the cuprit an it wasnt

Tomorrow I plan on taking my dash apart completely and following all the grounds and wires with my multimeter unless someone had the same problem and knows the fix.. so she's gonna stay parked in my driveway until I can fix it, because a local cop that's a good friend of mine said that it can be upwards to a $250 ticket!

Taking it to a shop will be expensive for them just to chase ground wires (an that's something I can easily do)
My took a several tries to get a reading on it.
Other wise the reader, just gave a read error.

Suspect there is some light corrosion on the contacts, it did start working correctly after the several tries.

·
Registered
303 Posts
double check to see if you cigarette lighter works if not that the fuse... those 2 are tide to together on some cars..

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Use you multimeter to check the fuse, it might LOOK good but isn't. Why jump to tearing the dash apart? K.I.S.S. You're libel to cause more problems tearing into the dash.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Does the scan tool power up when connected to the DLC? If so do any other modules communicate with the scan tool? If so what codes are in those modules? The scan tool communicates on pin 2 and grounds at pin 5 of the DLC. The splice pack 205 is "In the I/P harness, to the right of the park brake lever, taped over completely, between 2 strips of white tape".

·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bart, you were correct! Somehow a pin was pulled out and I couldn't get it back in, so I ordered a new DLC, cut them off of the old, reassembled and there you go.. I really appreciate all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts