Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All... I posted last week in response to a similar problem in the 7th Gen area. Got no help.
So, I thought I would post properly in the 8th Gen. area since I have a 2013 Impala LTZ 3.6 FlexFuel.

I have tried to get my Emission Test in Colo. twice and each time I got two Monitors "NOT READY". They are/were EVAPORATIVE and OXYGEN SENSOR.

I had previously had an issue with Check engine light that was related to the Gas Cap. I now have installed a new OEM one so I should be good there.
I have a Foxwell NT200 Code reader so I had cleared codes about three months ago. Do very little driving right now because of Covid 19.
Anyway, I tried to do the "Drive Cycle" I found in the 7th Gen forum to get "Ready" last Sunday morning. What a pain. Whoever came up with that procedure ought to be shot.
The only way you could do this is if you live way out in the country near a main highway that has no traffic.
Regardless, I tried and was able to eliminate the OXYGEN SENSOR being not ready but EVAPORATIVE is showing as NOT READY/INCOMPLETE.
And now I am throwing a P263a Code. Nothing that I can find here about that code but out there on the internets my initial research shows:
"The engine system, in conjunction with the engine control module (ECM)/powertrain control module (PCM), activates the P263A code solenoid valve to control oil pressure to the engine mechanism that is installed in the valve system to switch valve timing between Low and High.If the engine solenoid valve has an open or short circuit, a DTC is stored."
Does not really tell me what to do to fix it....

The only other info. that might be pertinent is that I did replace the EVAP PURGE VALVE last December. No issues that I am aware of from that.

Any direction that somebody can provide would be appreciated. Hate the idea of taking this to a shop when the vehicle is running great.

Thanks in Advance.....
Don

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't have a technical answer, but I will reply so it keeps this post on top of the queue so hopefully someone with OBD reader experience answers. My smart-Aleck non-technical answer would be to move to a state that doesn't have vehicle inspections. Here in Michigan, your car can be a total polluting unsafe piece of crap as long as you pay the state their annual license plate fees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i am not 100% sure but i hope my tips help out. Your code being thrown is located in the powertrain and it has direct correlation with the oil pressure sensor. I have an older silverado (99) but it was throwing me an o2 sensor code that had to actually do with my fuel pump--see where i am going with this--so if youre throwing a code involving the oil my researched and past experience would have to tell me to tell you that it has to do with that little oil sensor or something to do with it not getting enough oil. Again this is not a 100% certain but based off of similar past problems i would try looking into that more.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think I've read before about the evap one...tank needs to have x amount of fuel in it to complete the test. Not completely sure but try googling that to find some info.

I live in California and not all of the test need to be completed. 5 of the 7 I think. Always thought Ca was the strictest with emissions...guess I was wrong.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello All,
Thanks so much for the input. Dfelt75... printed out the Driving Cycle instructions and did this morning. Pretty much the same except the other one said in the second 5 min. drive you must come to a complete stop... not the 20 MPH. Thanks for that info. So, after doing the best I could.. I really think I was able to satisfy everything... The only thing was that on my way to the freeway I got a "Tighten gas Cap" message. So I pulled over and reset the gas cap.... Cycled thru my Vehicle info. options.. and the message went away.
I pulled into a drive thru car wash and checked. Alright at least the P263a is gone but EVAP system monitor is still incomplete. Damn.

So, I drove home and reran the check. Well Shit. the P263a is back AND P0455! So, now it must be in the EVAP system... for sure. And to me.. the likely suspect is the EVAP Purge Valve that installed last DEC. Is it defective already? My next step I think is to pull it out and test it. Found a procedure that should be able to do out there on the internets. Purge valve, how it works, symptoms, problems, testing

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Purge valve is normally closed. Simple test is to remove the vacuum line and replace with ~12" pc. of scrap vac. hose. You should not be able to blow/suck through the sampling hose. If you can, replace the valve as it has failed open. The vent valve, back under the fuel filler pipe, is normally open.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Purge valve is normally closed. Simple test is to remove the vacuum line and replace with ~12" pc. of scrap vac. hose. You should not be able to blow/suck through the sampling hose. If you can, replace the valve as it has failed open. The vent valve, back under the fuel filler pipe, is normally open.
Hey Sheila,
Purge Valve at the Manifold is normally closed? I thought the function was that once the engine got to a certain temperature.. or other factors.. the valve opens up allowing the stored vapors to be drawn in. And it continues to open and close to allow for these vapors to be burned .. continually. I also assume that the VENT solenoid also opens then to allow for the vapors to sucked in....
I will try your Test! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello All,
Yesterday I decided to test my purge valve solenoid per Sheila's suggestion. But what I found was that the hose was not fully on the device. I replaced it last December... so it certainly was not the equipment. It was the operator (me).
So, I secured the hose properly this time and drove around the block to where I normally park. Checked my codes... and damn.. the P0455 and P263a were gone. So I am thinking.. do a drive cycle in the morning and I should be good. Should be able to get the EVAP monitor to "Ready".
Did the drive cycle this morning. Actually have figured out a route where I can do it reasonably safely. Finished it.. and decided to get some gas as I was approaching the magical 30% full tank thing. Damn .. both codes were back. #$%^&$%^^%^ !! Put the gas in and drove home. Checked again. And the codes were gone but the EVAP was still not ready.

So.. I will do another drive cycle tomorrow.... and see. Does anybody know exactly HOW MANY full drive cycles are needed for the EVAP monitor to be ready?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An update for anybody who might be interested. After trying to get rid of the two codes for a couple of days my Code Reader is now not functioning properly. Foxwell NT200. Zero live support. I made the mistake of trying to update the firmware to make sure IT WAS WORKING RIGHT. But instead.. I screwed it up. I hate to buy another one but you really need one if you are going to work on these cars.

Well my codes came back.... P0455 and P263a. So, I tested the purge valve solenoid and it could not hold a vacuum. So even though it is only 10 months / 1000 miles old it appears to have failed. So, I went out and bought from the FLAPS a new BWD one (Made in USA). Twice as much as the cheapo Chinese one that got online at about 40 bucks. But they say it has a Limited Lifetime warranty...what ever that means.

Installed it and cleared the codes... Did a Drive Cycle this morning and no Codes. Also still have 3 monitors "Not Ready/Incomplete. So I will do another drive cycle tonight and one in the morning and see if we can get this thing ready. What a pain.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update for anybody who might be interested. After trying to get rid of the two codes for a couple of days my Code Reader is now not functioning properly. Foxwell NT200. Zero live support. I made the mistake of trying to update the firmware to make sure IT WAS WORKING RIGHT. But instead.. I screwed it up. I hate to buy another one but you really need one if you are going to work on these cars.

Well my codes came back.... P0455 and P263a. So, I tested the purge valve solenoid and it could not hold a vacuum. So even though it is only 10 months / 1000 miles old it appears to have failed. So, I went out and bought from the FLAPS a new BVD one. Twice as much as the cheapo Chinese one that got online at about 40 bucks. But they say it has a Limited Lifetime warranty...what ever that means.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
^+1. The original AC Delco purge valve on your '13 was a Bosch made in Mexico one, lol! Did you get a BWD (Borg-Warner) or BVD? BWD is a good brand, haven't heard of BVD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^+1. The original AC Delco purge valve on your '13 was a Bosch made in Mexico one, lol! Did you get a BWD (Borg-Warner) or BVD? BWD is a good brand, haven't heard of BVD.
Yeah.. I mis typed. It is BWD not BVD. I lived in Baja for a few years and had some friends who worked in the Maquiladoras. Generally these plants are managed with US Engineers and managers using US Machine tools etc. So, I would definitely choose an Assembled in Mexico item over a made in China item.

P0455 gone. Doing drive cycles to get ready.. Still have a P263a popping up.. but reader says no codes and the Check Engine light is not on. Although it does come on momentarily upon acceleration.

Guess I am going have to take it in to a shop. Grrrr...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final Report. My Impala PASSED Emissions test today. So, since I replaced the EVAP Purge Valve and cleared the codes, I did FIVE full Drive Cycles according to the GM criteria posted here earlier and it did appear that all my monitors were ready. No Check Engine Lights. Took it in first thing this morning and Hallelujah..... Passed.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Final Report. My Impala PASSED Emissions test today. So, since I replaced the EVAP Purge Valve and cleared the codes, I did FIVE full Drive Cycles according to the GM criteria posted here earlier and it did appear that all my monitors were ready. No Check Engine Lights. Took it in first thing this morning and Hallelujah..... Passed.
My 97 F150 recently popped a CEL with an O2 sensor code, and inspection due in September. I crawled under to inspect, and wiggled the wires in the sensor connector. A couple days later, the CEL cleared itself, and I headed straight for the inspection shop :)

Doug

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I didn't have to wait too long. My '16 Limited LTZ just lit the $$$ light today: P0442. I replaced the worn original fuel cap with a genuine AC Delco #GT294 cap a couple of months back. I'm ruling it out as the culprit for now. It just so happens that my rig was included in the Evap Purge Valve Coverage. Unfortunately, that coverage lapsed 1,160 miles ago. Rock Auto, here we come.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts