Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost exactly 100 years ago Louis Chevrolet, a Swiss-born mechanic and racecar driver, founded Chevrolet Motor Car Company on November 8, 1911. He competed in the Indianapolis 500 and after working for Buick for a little more than four years, began designing his own cars while racing. He raced with his brother and a few close friends before making a name for himself in the early 1900's racing scene. With his brother, together they founded Chevrolet Motor Car Company before his brother would be killed in a racing crash ending both of their careers in professional racing. This car company however, unbeknownst to him at the time, would live on for a century to come and become a famed competitor in the history of motorsports. Unfortunately for Mr. Chevrolet, the stock market crash of '29 took a harsh toll on his previous earnings and upon needing work, took a job at the Chevrolet factory as a line mechanic in 1931. On June 6, 1941, Louis Chevrolet died almost penniless in Detroit, Michigan after founding one of America's most recognizable car brands. The Chevy bowtie emblem that we all associate with the company seems to have two stories as to how it came about. The first is that the bowtie is actually a stylized Swiss cross emblem Chevrolet created to honor his parents birthplace and homeland. The second story is that William Durant, Louis Chevrolet's partner and the founder of General Motors saw the shape in a French wallpaper and clipped a piece of it to save and recreated the shape with the Chevy namesake. Regardless of which story is true, the man and the legend of Chevrolet have been honored this year as a tribute to his life and racing spirit.

The sinister look of an all black (particularly in September of this year in New Zealand) car has long since been an enthusiast favorite with its dark features, and the Centennial Edition Corvette plays to that crowd. The Centennial Edition is an all black edition of the Corvette relishing the 100 year history of our favorite automaker. The Centennial edition is available for every line of Corvette (from the Base model to the ZR1), and is expected to run an extra $4,995 for the package. The package features exclusive Carbon Flash Metallic paint on the exterior, coupled with a set of special black aluminum spun Centennial Wheels lined red on the lip, with red calipers and carbon-ceramic brakes. The absolutely awesome Magnetic Selective Ride Control will also be available with the package. A special badge that bears the resemblance of Louis Chevrolet and the number 100 will be located on the B-pillar, the steering wheel, and the Chevy bowtie logo with the number 100 will be embossed on the headrests. The wheels also say "Centennial" on the rim just barely visible with a gloss/matte contrast. The interior has also been remodeled and finished in Ebony leather contrasted with red stitching. The steering wheel, seats, shifter and armrests get microfiber suede accents similar to those found on the Z06 Carbon Edition.

The entire package has an extremely sharp looking finish on the Corvette, being almost black with red accents either in stitching, or pin striping on the wheels and calipers, provides a very crisp look to the car. The overall effect is there, and having a sinister look to the car will be an especially daunting look on the Z06 and ZR1. If the man himself could see the 100 year anniversary of his company, I think he'd be proud. The 100 year anniversary, celebrated by the Corvette is nothing short of memorable and should be a point of pride for all Chevy owners.

ohhhhh....the dirty dirty things I'm thinking about this vette! It's too bad they don't have an 100 anniversary option for everything in the lineup..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Sorry, but THANK GOD they aren't offering it on the full line, it would be bad enough to see that package on a new impala, but could you imagine the aveos and cobalts running around with it? I want the ZR1 in that trim!

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I admit it, I have a dirty secret to tell.....I've secretly wanted to take an Aveo and turn it into an AWD rally car...there, I said it...LOL....*ducking to avoid the thrown objects* but it's only cause the ford fuckus has had so much success and I want there to be a GM product to compete for it..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The focus is actually a great car, the aveo is a piece of shit, might have to wait...

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
New Focus is sick awesome. But I think they coulda made a cool Impala out of the 100 years thing. Black/red theme Impala. :) It is the base for huge profits after all. lol

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^x1000 it's sad but true....I'd slap those center caps and pillar post stickers on anything 2011 though if I had one just for a quick and easy "mod"...

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
That thing is gorgeous. Beats the 2008 40th anniversary Impala for sure. I am just jealous - I wish mine was an 08 so I could get some of the badges....

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
That thing is gorgeous. Beats the 2008 40th anniversary Impala for sure. I am just jealous - I wish mine was an 08 so I could get some of the badges....
Hmmm maybe we should start keeping an eye out for some of those badges for people..? I'll definitely let everyone know if i see something. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
83 Posts
it should be a package option for EVERY CHEVY car. Its not a corvette celebration, its a celebration for Chevrolet altogether. I dont see anything "special" about a Corvette anyways, sure its a nice car, but what makes it so "special" that this package is only offered for it?

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Well it is, and has been, the only all American GM car for as long as its been around. it's the STAPLE of General Motors, being the highest performance, most desired car they've ever produced. I think it's very appropriate for it to be on the Corvette, and am happy they chose that over all other models (assuming they were always planning to limit it to one model).

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the suburban has been around for 75 years and has the longest running nameplate title...it has an anniversary addition too, but it's own, not chevy's...it was in white diamond paint..

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I had no idea there awas a 75th anniv Burb. Very interesting.... I still don't get why they did not do the 40th anniv for every 08 Impala or why they are not doing 100th anniv for all Chevys. I mean why wouldnt they?????? At least offer the option..... more $$ for GM.....

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had no idea there awas a 75th anniv Burb. Very interesting.... I still don't get why they did not do the 40th anniv for every 08 Impala or why they are not doing 100th anniv for all Chevys. I mean why wouldnt they?????? At least offer the option..... more $$ for GM.....
yeah, too bad the white diamond is a bit too girly for me, I'd prefer the black diamond paint option, but it's basically the 'Burban dressed in Esky clothes. You mean the 50th 08 Impala? It was offered on some trim levels, but your right, being an appearance package, it should've been offered on all levels, no reason not to. Same for the 100th anniversary, it's 90% appearance on the vette, why not offer all those appearance trims across the board, as I said earlier, I think those stickers and center caps at the least, will be aftermarket buys for anyone driving an '11 chevy...The paint will be offered aftermarket too, so you can have a respray done if you want, haha, even a custom interior sewn up if you want to go the distance, but it's a shame, that $5000 option package could've done well to add to the bottom line across the board for sure!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts