Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched through and cant seem to find the exact problem. Similar fixes wont resolve my issue. I have an 02 3.8 impala. Had a blown engine when i got it. I dropped a 3.8 from a 99 park ave into it. Has worked fine for about 9 months however the check engine and security lights stayed on. Today i cleared the CEL and now appear to have a security issue with the security light flashing and vehicle not starting. None of the relearn or bypass fixes seem to do anything. Hoping i dont have to tow it to a dealer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Ive searched through and cant seem to find the exact problem. Similar fixes wont resolve my issue. I have an 02 3.8 impala. Had a blown engine when i got it. I dropped a 3.8 from a 99 park ave into it. Has worked fine for about 9 months however the check engine and security lights stayed on. Today i cleared the CEL and now appear to have a security issue with the security light flashing and vehicle not starting. None of the relearn or bypass fixes seem to do anything. Hoping i dont have to tow it to a dealer. Any suggestions?
Did you get a code before you cleared the CEL? Knowing the code(s) may help.

There was a TSB on the security system (attached). Perhaps this will help.

The BCM is above the driver's left foot. It has three connectors on it, all in a row. With the battery disconnected, remove and re-insert each connector a few times. ( I do this lying on my back with my feet up over the seatback or sticking out the door, with the seat moved all the way back. )

Then reconnect the battery and try to start it.

Apparently, the BCM connectors are prone to getting some galvanic corrosion which increases the resistance in the path causing the security signal from the ignition switch to be misread by the BCM.

Simply removing and re-inserting the connectors a few times should adequately clean the connector pins without otherwise touching the pins.

Try that and let us know it if helps.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts