Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2018 Impala with a little over 50k on it. I did an oil change today (first time I've done it on this car) and now the car won't start. IT's trying to turn over but won't. All electrical systems are on but the strange thing is the brake pedal is hard as a rock and the "Infomation" and "Options" selections are greyed out on the DIC. Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2018 Impala with a little over 50k on it. I did an oil change today (first time I've done it on this car) and now the car won't start. IT's trying to turn over but won't. All electrical systems are on but the strange thing is the brake pedal is hard as a rock and the "Infomation" and "Options" selections are greyed out on the DIC. Any ideas???

I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ and have changed the oil & filter.

I suspect you damaged wiring or or near the starter. If not, then I would suspect a bad battery. I have changed the battery on my Impala - and the OEM battery (without a plastic handle) is very difficult to remove from its compartment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ and have changed the oil & filter.

I suspect you damaged wiring or or near the starter. If not, then I would suspect a bad battery. I have changed the battery on my Impala - and the OEM battery (without a plastic handle) is very difficult to remove from its compartment.
Thank you for responding!! The strange thing is I started the car with no problems right after I finished the oil change. The car sat for like 4-5 hrs and I wasn't able to start it back up. I didn't touch any wiring what so ever. :(

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thank you for responding!! The strange thing is I started the car with no problems right after I finished the oil change. The car sat for like 4-5 hrs and I wasn't able to start it back up. I didn't touch any wiring what so ever. :(
It sure sounds as though the battery is getting weak, has a bad cell, or is undercharged. Did you play the radio while changing the oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sure sounds as though the battery is getting weak, has a bad cell, or is undercharged. Did you play the radio while changing the oil?
Update The car started right up this morning. I did see a “Stabilitrak” message come up but other than that it turned over. Could I have triggered some kind of security function?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Update The car started right up this morning. I did see a “Stabilitrak” message come up but other than that it turned over. Could I have triggered some kind of security function?
If you didn't see a SECURITY message on the instrument cluster, I doubt it.

But a battery with a bad cell can cause intermittent starting problems as can a bad battery connection.

You can inspect the battery wiring looking for a loose or corroded connection. And places like Autozone can load test the battery to see if it's going bad.

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All,

Try unplugging the battery for about 10 minutes and reconnect it you may have knocked something off balance

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 LT the car would not start after setting, I put in a new battery it started then went dead over night. The culprit was OnStar that was not shutting off. locate the fuse and put it to see if it will hold a charge and start.

Scottdrdos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts