Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have some interesting sounds come from my tranny, a 3-on the tree, lately. I just bought the '67 Biscayne a couple months back so there are probably a bunch of interesting sounds if I really listen.

- When I engage the clutch between 1-2 and I believe 2-3 I hear what sounds like the a dozen rocks being shook inside the tranny
- When I have the clutch engaged while stopped the tranny is loud with almost a non-lubed lifter sound or light rod knock
- When I do NOT have the clutch engaged I do not hear it
- Shifts fine in all gears with no issues

I am swapping out the 283 with a rebuilt one in a couple weeks so I will be taking a look and what I can when it's out and detached from the engine but in the interim wanted to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

MD

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
throw out bearing going bad maybe, had to tell without hearing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post. Those expensive and a pain to replace? Also, I will post a video from my iPhone which has decent audio at some point. Appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
You replace the bearing when you do a clutch. Not very expensive and you drop the drive shaft and support the trans and pull it away from the engine. Change the following parts:
Clutch disk
Pressure plate
Throw out bearing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. I might just buy a decent kit (clutch, bearing, etc.) together since I'm removing the engine anyway for another rebuilt 283. Since I'm taking the tranny with it engine, shouldn't but much of an issue then (sounds like).

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts