Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks im having a issue. I had trouble diagnosing a fscm issue so the car(2013 flex) sat with a tank partially filled with e85 for almost a year. I finally fixed the wiring issue and thought I could make it to the shop to have them empty and clean the tank,Nope. Almost immediately had probs. Very rough running, low oil pressure and then engine stopped running. I'm planning on emptying the tank and refilling along with an oil change. Can I simply hook a hose up to the fuel line connection by the tank and jump the fuel pump to empty or is there a better way? Also wondering if I should drop the tank and give it a cleaning? Lastly, do I need to clean out the fuel system and if so with what? Regarding the low oil pressure, though i doubt its my prob, I've read that an improperly running fuel pump can be the cause. Replace or not?
Thanks again folks, and any other suggestions and info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Partially filled with E85 for 12 months is a really really really bad thing.

E85 fuel is corrosive to aluminum and steel.

These cars do not have a fuel filter and the tank is steel so any corrosion is now all the way through the fuel system. Fuel rails are aluminum and that can get chewed up pretty badly too. You probably have a fairly serious problem. You need to get a look inside the tank to asses how bad this really is.

Low oil pressure is probably a separate issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tks for responding. I'm pretty sure my tank is plastic. I'm now thinking I have a bad pump. It always ran when I jumped the fpcm but now nothing. Siphoned some gas and it seemed ok.
I'm now hoping someone can tell me which wires(or pins,tank is pulled)to jump to make sure pump is dead. 4 wires(2large pk,grey: 2small or&blk,purple). 3 to press sens i assume aren't involved.
Tks again folks, site has been helpful on all my probs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tks for responding. I'm pretty sure my tank is plastic. I'm now thinking I have a bad pump. It always ran when I jumped the fpcm but now nothing. Siphoned some gas and it seemed ok.
I'm now hoping someone can tell me which wires(or pins,tank is pulled)to jump to make sure pump is dead. 4 wires(2large pk,grey: 2small or&blk,purple). 3 to press sens i assume aren't involved.
Pink & Gray. Pink is ground.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The fuel pump is metal and so are your fuel injectors.

I use E0 in anything I don't intend to drive enough to fuel on a weekly basis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts