Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Impala LTZ. It rained constantly for a few days, and I noticed that water leaked onto the connectors to the amp in the truck. I unplugged the connectors to allow them to dry but a few days later the sound has stopped playing. Radio comes on but no sound. Do I need another amp???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
If you are talking about a new-style Impala (which I'm assuming you are since it's in the 9th section), there was a recall for leaking taillight gaskets (or something like that), that caused water to enter the trunk. Although, I'm not quite sure how that water would have made it up to the amp (assuming the amp is mounted on the rear deck like it was in older Impalas).

Regardless, I'd get it (leak and amp issue) looked at under warranty assuming you are still within the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

If the amp connectors were wet, there is a good chance that you are going to end up with mold in the trunk (others have becuase of the taillight gasket leak - and it can be a MAJOR issue).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my car just hit 30,000 miles. It had 8,000 on it when I got it. I bought it from a guy that got it from an auction and fixed it. It was wrecked on the rear quarter panel on the passenger side. I got a HELL of a deal on it because of that. So, apparently, there is an area that isn't completely sealed off when they repaired it to prevent a leak. So I doubt a warranty would be honored in my situation.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Well, my car just hit 30,000 miles. It had 8,000 on it when I got it. I bought it from a guy that got it from an auction and fixed it. It was wrecked on the rear quarter panel on the passenger side. I got a HELL of a deal on it because of that. So, apparently, there is an area that isn't completely sealed off when they repaired it to prevent a leak. So I doubt a warranty would be honored in my situation.

Water instrusion on the 2014 Impala was a know problem, damaging the amplifier: Search Results Impala trunk leak

You may want to see if the dealer will repair the amplifier under warranty (you will have to fix the leak first...).

Good luck. I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Its worth a shot but depending on who repaired it, they are not likely to warranty it. Atleast if they determine the leak is from lack of proper repair. As far as im aware the 2016 model doesn't have the same leaking issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went ahead and ordered a used amp off Ebay. I tried giving it time for the moisture to dry up, but still no success. I am going to find out where the leak is coming from and prevent it from leaking again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had a similar issue on my mothers honda accord once. i ended up using a hose and folding the back seat down and crawling in with a flashlight. Ended up using some silicone around lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are talking about a new-style Impala (which I'm assuming you are since it's in the 9th section), there was a recall for leaking taillight gaskets (or something like that), that caused water to enter the trunk. Although, I'm not quite sure how that water would have made it up to the amp (assuming the amp is mounted on the rear deck like it was in older Impalas).

Regardless, I'd get it (leak and amp issue) looked at under warranty assuming you are still within the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

If the amp connectors were wet, there is a good chance that you are going to end up with mold in the trunk (others have becuase of the taillight gasket leak - and it can be a MAJOR issue).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.