Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 impala 3.4l the power steering pump had a little wine to it,then after a while it would be hard to turn wheels occasionally but if you revved engine up it was fine.this only happened rarely.Then the steering only worked in one direction,now it works fine when car is first started for a few minutes,then completely gone and when you force the wheel to turn it makes a whoosh sound,it seems to be coming from the steering column. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Most power steering pumps whine on these cars. Your problem sounds like a rack issue.. That or your pump has damage and has migrated into the rack.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
If you had air you would see aeration in your power steering resevoir. Also, with air you are likely to experience the same problem the entire time. Cold fluid allowing it to work and when it's warmer it stops working says to me its a pump with won gear and too much tolerance or the gear in the rack causing the same issue.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Absolutely. If you don't feel comfortable diagnosing it yourself it should be a 15 minute (around $25) diagnosis for a dealer. Even I use the dealer on occasion to confirm my thoughts before replacing parts. $25 is cheap for assurance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
169 Posts
Absolutely. If you don't feel comfortable diagnosing it yourself it should be a 15 minute (around $25) diagnosis for a dealer. Even I use the dealer on occasion to confirm my thoughts before replacing parts. $25 is cheap for assurance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I kinda disagree there.... in Fl I've found that most dealers charge $99 flat rate to look at your car. As a matter of fact I was charged $99 last time i was at the dealer and they couldnt find my main problem so they charged me $50 instead. It was fair since they gave me a report of all the problems i didnt know about. They also wasted an hour trying to find an anti-freeze leak.. I don't know of any dealer that charges for diagnosing by 15 minutes ... so please dont go to the dealer thinking you are only going to spend $25...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Your dealer are assholes then. I've gone in and had entire front end inspections done and charged half the "flat rate" because it didn't take as long as expected. Your dealer chooses to not give you a break, it's up to them. Some are just money grubbing slut ponies.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Your dealer are assholes then. I've gone in and had entire front end inspections done and charged half the "flat rate" because it didn't take as long as expected. Your dealer chooses to not give you a break, it's up to them. Some are just money grubbing slut ponies.
Agreed :eek:k3:

But, the only reason "some" dealers give you a break is in the hopes of you returning. I had a bad experience with an Elhart dealer a little while back and will never see them again. It will be myself or small shops :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I agree that it sounds like a problem with the rack, unfortunately its not a cheap fix, and not easy either unless you are a fairly competent mechanic. Even doing the work yourself, you need to figure probably around $150 for the rack, and best case scenario of $30 for setting the toe afterwards. A shop I would guess will be around $500-600.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
What's this had stuff man. your asking for diagnostic help then you state past tence on problems.
Thats just a typo man.....the S and D are beside each other on a keyboard :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts