Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my catalytic converter this weekend on my 2002 base impala 3400. :bang: I was expecting to get torn a new one buying and having it installed at the local muffler shop, but amazingly I didn't. :yahoo: I got the thunderbolt "spun solution" converter part # 435250 2 1/2 inch. Its obd2 compliant and a direct replacement for the "gm problem engines 3.1L, 3.4L and 3.8L." I got mine installed for a total of $57.00. not a bad deal in my book. Haven't thrown a code and I've gotten back all of my lost power. Plus it really complements my 2 3/4 inch Magnaflow exhaust! I went from a low rumble to a loud roar when I really get on it. Anyone else running one of these?

Thunderbolt 2.5" Spun Catalytic Converter

2 5" Thunderbolt Catalytic Converter OBDII Heavy Load Late Models | eBay

http://www.thunderboltperformance.com/catalog/

Reactions: idriveafastcar

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had to replace my catalytic converter this weekend on my 2002 base impala 3400. :bang: I was expecting to get torn a new one buying and having it installed at the local muffler shop, but amazingly I didn't. :yahoo: I got the thunderbolt "spun solution" converter part # 435250 2 1/2 inch. Its obd2 compliant and a direct replacement for the "gm problem engines 3.1L, 3.4L and 3.8L." I got mine installed for a total of $57.00. not a bad deal in my book. Haven't thrown a code and I've gotten back all of my lost power. Plus it really complements my 2 3/4 inch Magnaflow exhaust! I went from a low rumble to a loud roar when I really get on it. Anyone else running one of these?

Thunderbolt 2.5" Spun Catalytic Converter

2 5" Thunderbolt Catalytic Converter OBDII Heavy Load Late Models | eBay

http://www.thunderboltperformance.com/catalog/
Installed??? for $57 ??? That's a helluva deal! I began getting the same code barely a year (and out of warranty) after mine was replaced. The car runs fine but the converter has probably fallen into GM's overly sensitive 'faulty' range. I was looking at an Eastern brand cat which supposedly addresses that issue but it's about $180 plus shipping. I will have to check this one out!

Thanks so much for the post!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a problem. I couldn't be happier with the results. You should be able to order one cheap online if it isn't sold in your area and it shouldn't cost no more than $30 to have it welded in at your local muffler shop... as long as they aren't con-men.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do not bother with a eastern they are crap !
Really? How so? There are a lot of W body cars in my extended family (I get all the car questions) and I have mentioned the Eastern converter when asked but made clear that "it's advertised to have no P0420 code issues". I haven't specifically told them to buy this brand, just mentioned what I saw about them. Have you tried them before? If they are total junk I would like to know why so if asked I can tell them to NOT consider it.

My 2001 3.4 was throwing the P0420 for about a year with a replacement cat (brand unknown) and replacing the cat again was not high on my list since the car runs just fine. Interestingly enough, I used to buy gas at Holiday (87 octane 10% ethanol) but several months ago switched to Exxon with the same rating and after 4 or 5 tankfuls my P0420 code is gone. I even reset all monitors with my code reader to be sure it wasn't a fluke. Holiday gas stations, at least in Minnesota, advertise their 'Blue Planet' gasoline as having extra oxygen in it to promote cleaner burning.:dunno:

Anyway, please share what you know about Eastern cats.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I installed there convertor and shortly after it thru the code, called them and they said not a convertor problem, it is something else. according to my thermo check the convertor is not completly firing up as i only have about 50 -60 degrees diff between the front and back temp. from what i founf on the web 100 is the min and 150 would be ideal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts