Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have an 08 impala i am trying to figure out, that losses heat at idle.the tstate and coolent were changed in hopes of correcting the problem but did not.A couple of people have mentioned a valve in the dash that could be the problem,and it would cost about $300.00 to fix apparently you have to remove the dash?Is any body familiar with this problem,and have a how to or a exploded diag. of the area?thanx.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'm guessing it just wasn't properly bled out, symptoms are classic for an air pocket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check your coolent level, had the same issue as you and didn't check my coolent level, when I finally got around to it, my radiator was so low there wasn't any coolent in the upper hose

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent chaecked the coolent level.i was told she had the tstate changed and the coolent flushed at the dealer,i like to assume they konw what there doing though i know that isnt always true.she told me that two other techs told her that they are know for this valve going bad ,and that you have to take the dash apart to get to it.So basicly it sounds like she probly has a bad valve,and was just hopeing for some tech tips or experience on doing that job before i go down there.Now when i get there i will make my on diag. of the cooling/heating system.but like i said it sounds to me like she got the right diag. already and dosent have $300 buck to have it done.i would like to help her out but i dont want to get involved if its gonna be a nightmare,and shes better off just saveing up the $300

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I don't know what valve this is, and have certainly never heard of it going bad. But more importantly, why would this valve cause the heat to not work only at idle? Sounds like they want your $300 more than they want to properly diagnose the problem. Seriously, check the coolant level and give it a good bleed, I almost guarantee your problem will go away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok,so i checked the coolent and it was a little low i started the vehical and filled the res and rad.and waited for the tstat to open i was in the parking lot of the 7 11 so i couldnt raise the front of the car to make sure there wasnt any air bubbles lodged in the back some where, and as far as i could tell this 3.5 doesnt have a schradder valve like my 3.8 does to bleed the system,but both the upper and lower rad. hoses are below the rad. fill cap so i cant belive the hose has air in it like my 3.8 could. This valve i am talking about may be a vent they said when standing still it is closed but when the car is moveing it is forced open .I i informed her that if you raise the idle to about 3 grand while tanding still you get great heat so the car needing to be moveing therory doesnt make sense.I hope there not talking about the accuator,i am sure its not that both sides have heat.a will see her again tomarrow the only thing i can try is raising the front of the car with it running and the cap off to see if i get air.I wish i had the screw on adaptor for my burping funnel that that tool works great on chevys and there is no mess. does anybody have an expoled veiw of the system i can look at? is there a site i can get access to tsbs,recalls,and technical info kinda like mitchells or whatever the chevy guys are useing but for free?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
There is a high spot in the upper hose, and the heater core, it doesn't matter that the fill point is higher, because everything between them is lower. There is no bleeder valve on these, so it's a bit more tricky. Here is what I do. With the car off, and no pressure in the system (this can be cold, but it can also be warm, feel the upper hose, if its hard don't open the cap) remove the cap and fill, then squeeze the upper hose and watch the bubbles come out. Repeat filling and squeezing till you can no longer get any bubbles, it may take a few minutes. Now make sure the reservoir is filled to at least the line, a little more isn't a bad thing. Put the cap back on, start the car, turn the heat on full blast, and let it warm till the thermostat opens. Check the overflow again to make sure it's ok, then go for a quick drive, keeping the heat on. Recheck coolant level again when it's cooled off, and you should be good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the exact same problem on my wife's impala. Kingnuttin is right; it is an air bubble trapped in the system that prevents the hot coolant from entering the heater core, thus preventing hot air at idle. When revved, the engine will force the air bubble through and you will get heat, but not at idle. I solved this by leaving the coolant fill cap off and running the car, adding coolant as necessary until air bubbles were gone and coolant was topped off. Then I just put the cap back on and the heat has worked at idle ever since. This happened about 5 months ago, and it still works perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts