Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently received a 2010 LTZ (only has 75k miles) but I just noticed that the heated seats dont seem to work. When I push the buttons the lights dont come on and I didnt feel the seat getting any warmer. I checked the fuse by the passenger footwell and it wasnt blown. I read elsewhere that it could be the heating element. Is there a way to test it without removing the seat? I heard about testing the resistance but I wasnt sure where I would find the cables.

If it is the element, its it difficult to replace? Any suggestions on where to buy the parts from? Im only borrowing this car so I dont want to invest a ton, but I am trying to keep it up and running.

Edit: I saw this post, but it doesnt seem that they ever reported if it was fixed or what the issue was: https://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/1746602-07-ss-heated-seats-not-working-no-lights.html

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It might be the heating element or the controller or the wiring.

You can unplug the element and measure the resistance with a meter. If it's shorted it's done.

Look at all the connectors in the system checking for burned terminals and crispy connector shells.
Example... GM used a Metripak 280 connector in the rear window defroster grid wiring. The 280 connectors are not rated for the 40A this circuit is fused for. There's a sticky on the rear defroster issue on the Gen 8 rigs.

It's possible that shorted elements could damage the controller. GM doesn't have a great track record on protecting things like this from that kind of damage.

This is heated seat diagnosis on a Ford but the broad strokes are the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could be everything is fine...

Just a thought but it may be connected to the ambient temp sensor.

It may be the computer is telling the seat its too warm for heat.

I know it will cut out the AC in the winter..

·
Registered
159 Posts
I recently received a 2010 LTZ (only has 75k miles) but I just noticed that the heated seats dont seem to work. When I push the buttons the lights dont come on and I didnt feel the seat getting any warmer. I checked the fuse by the passenger footwell and it wasnt blown. I read elsewhere that it could be the heating element. Is there a way to test it without removing the seat? I heard about testing the resistance but I wasnt sure where I would find the cables.

If it is the element, its it difficult to replace? Any suggestions on where to buy the parts from? Im only borrowing this car so I dont want to invest a ton, but I am trying to keep it up and running.

Edit: I saw this post, but it doesnt seem that they ever reported if it was fixed or what the issue was: https://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/1746602-07-ss-heated-seats-not-working-no-lights.html
The driver and passenger heated seats are controlled by a single heated seat module that is located under the driver seat cushion. Both heated seats are controlled by separate heated seat switches that are located in the climate control panel (CCP). When a heated seat switch is pressed, the CCP sends a GMLAN message via the serial data line to the heated seat module indicating the heated seat command. In response to this signal, the heated seat module then applies battery positive voltage through the element supply voltage circuit to the appropriate seat heating elements. The heated seat module then sends a GMLAN message back to the CCP to either illuminate or turn off the appropriate temperature indicator.

That's all I know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts