Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Newbie here. I used “newest generation” since I see on some posts there’s a debate on 9th or 10th generation. Anyway, I have a 2015 2LT built in late 2014 so very beginning of the latest generation. I’m wondering if I can do a self service transmission fluid change on this one because I’ve not seen a transmission drain plug when underneath changing the oil. I’ve only done a trans change on my Honda Odyssey which has an easy magnetic drain plug. So can this be done, if so, how? These models also do not have a radiator cap so is a self service coolant change possible either? The manual says I believe 120,000 miles or 5 years on that. I’m only about 61,000 but I am at the 5 year mark. Would appreciate thoughts on these and if doing a transmission fluid change should I change filter, etc? Fluid seems to have dropped off rather quickly. It was nice and pink like a month ago and for quite some time leading up to that but suddenly more brownish. I do live in hot Florida but the vehicle doesn’t get nearly as much use as the Honda family bruiser. Especially with me not working much due to COVID. The Impala is MY baby. My low cost luxury car. 👍 Such a great riding car. Can’t believe they’re not going to make them anymore. 😤 Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
^ Which engine? Probably "yes" to both questions. Diy for both services can be done in under an hour. No jacking/lifting the car and no filters needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2LT is the 3.6L V6, 1LT was the 4 cylinder in the LT trim that year then I think the simplified it to just LS, LT, and LTZ. Anyway, it’s the 3.6L Flex Fuel.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
^+1. For both tasks, engine should be cold. For the tranny, locate the 11mm drain plug just in front and inside of the lf wheel. If you're having trouble locating/loosening the drain plug, you can jack the lf a hair. Loosen/remove the tran. dipstick cap to vent. Slide a 6qt+ drain pan under the plug and remove. I remove the plug with a 3/8" dr. ratchet, ext. and 11mm socket. I replace with a 1/4" dr. ratchet due to steel plug/aluminum tran. bottom/case. With an atf funnel, add 5-6 qts. of new Dexron 6 atf through the atf dipstick cap. No accessible filter to deal with. Done. For the coolant swap, locate the white plastic petcock on the pass. side of the radiator. Loosen/remove the coolant tank cap to vent. May have a couple of drain pans ready. Slide 1 under the petcock and loosen/remove. After draining, tighten petcock by hand only. No tools. Remember, it's plastic, lol. If it's too hard initially to loosen by hand, you can "carefully" use a pair of pliers to loosen. Fill the tank with new 50/50 Dexcool coolant mix. I hand-milk/squeeze the accessible upper coolant hoses to help expel air. Refill again to the top/cap. After a couple of drive cycles, coolant level should be proper. Fwiw, Walmart has their Supertech Dexcool 50/50 mix for ~$11/gal. I'd grab 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you much! I will have to look more carefully. I’m missing the trans drain plug when I look underneath. Glad it exists!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
^ It's the only 11mm drain plug in the area/location I described. Be sure to use Dexron 6 atf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m still a little time away from getting to these tasks but do you know what the torque setting would be for that transmission drain plug? I do have a 3/8 drive torque wrench that will go as low as 5 ft-lbs. Nothing smaller drive than that with torque capability.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Dunno. As I stated above, I remove the plug with a 3/8" dr. ratchet, extension and 11mm socket and I replace the plug with 1/4" dr. ratchet, extension and 11mm socket. You can use deepwell sockets with both inch drives and skip the extensions. I personally don't torque the plug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m still a little time away from getting to these tasks but do you know what the torque setting would be for that transmission drain plug? I do have a 3/8 drive torque wrench that will go as low as 5 ft-lbs. Nothing smaller drive than that with torque capability.
106 in-lb (divide by 12 for ft-lb = just under 9)
or, if you prefer metric, 12 Nm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still not quite beginning this yet but I looked around the other day and not seeing the white petcock on the radiator. Only white plastic piece was on top right which wouldn’t work well for draining. Do I need to get it up on ramps and look underneath to find it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
106 in-lb (divide by 12 for ft-lb = just under 9)
or, if you prefer metric, 12 Nm
Thanks! Don’t know why I didn’t notice your reply earlier. Finally getting closer to doing this. Got the coolant and a gallon of the ATF but probably need to get a couple more quarts of that before I’m ready to go.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Fwiw, last time I checked, Rockauto.com had decent prices on AC Delco full synthetic Dexron6 atf (~$4+/qt.) and Zerex DexCool 50/50 coolant (~$7+/gal.). Also reasonable on AC Delco Dexos1 5/30 full synthetic eng. oil (~$3.40+/qt.). You can find these under Engine, Fluids and Chemicals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts