Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a newbie to this orum (obviously).... I own a 1996 SS Impala (the greenish one)...and its my goal to restore this puppy.. I'm planning on getting a new engine but don't know what's available or what's possible.. (any ideas??) Also in the mean time I have an issue that might expedite getting a new engine in that my 'engine oil drip' light comes on after sitting at too many stop lights/signs/heavy traffic bumper to bumper style. Its like sitting idle with brakes on ..RPMs sit around 500-650 and the light will slowly, gradually flicker on 'till solid.. Temperature gauge will go past half marker and cool off back and forth durin the time the oil drip light begins its complaining. Any time I step on the gas or even foot off the break while in drive.. the light goes out.. as if the oil pressure resumes to normal. Then after driving again for a good stretch the engine seems to cool and 'then' at any further stop light, sign, etc... I don't seem to have the problem.. that is unless I'm sitting idle for too long. I also allowed the car to sit in drive idle (foot on brake) 'till the light was solid..then I put it in park or neutral (in which the light goes out)..and when I waited long enough the light eventually flickered to solid while in these states (park/neutral)..At that point I had to shut off the engine 'till things cooled down.... I was told this problem is because the bearings in the crankshaft or in the engine block (??) are wearing and the oil is seaping out the bearings causing pressure to be lost. I was told to thicken the grade of oil from 5w30 to 10w40. Right now I chose 10w30... (in the middle) and it seemed to help a little.. I'm going to reach 10w40 at the next oil change to see what happens... but if anyone can shed some light on this behavior I would be most grateful. I was looking to find a way to start a new post but couldn't .. so hopefully someone will see this.

Thanks,
juggernaut7

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Take a manual oil pressure reading. Have you heard any noises when the lights comes on, or at any time for that matter? Sometimes these idiot lights take a dump. What does you oil look like when you check it? Any weird colors or slightly milky look to it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
newbie -green Impala issue (engine oil drip light while idle)

Hey thanks for the welcome... If I recall correctly...this all started happening last July.. I had just finished changing my oil (first in a while..but had been taking it elsewhere to get it done).. I took it to my mechanic and he tested the readings at idle (I'm assuming manual but I'll double-check).. and he couldn't find anything wrong with the oil pump (maybe sensor?)..... At any rate no real sounds at all far as I can tell.. During the time my mechanic diagnosing I had him throw on new BBK headers to complement my Borland exhaust so trying to hear anything subtle like knocking... kind of hard to do... but after getting used to the exhaust rumble.. I don't really hear anything. I'll check my oil tomorrow but for now I had my oil changed 3 times since July and I didn't notice anything besides the normal dark color from worn out oil..( I only use synthetic ) My mechanic did say most of my wiring for the sensors are like barley hanging together. I'm suppose to have all of it redone this Spring/Summer.

juggernaut7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
newbie -green Impala issue (engine oil drip light while idle)

Sorry...for taking so long to reply... I was able to check my oil color..and everything looks as normal... here's a quick picture I took:

I was thinking to maybe get my sensor replaced since it may be a quick job and then install an oil pressure gauge.. Do you know at idle what the pressure should be? What do you think?

Thanks again,

juggernaut7

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
My .02.....

I had the exact same deal as your first post and it ended up being a spun bearing at 138K on the original motor....LT1 is a victim of this way of giving up the ghost very often i am sorry to say...:eek:

save up and start shopping for a motor in IMHO.

-ALF out....

·
Registered
12 Posts
sup

first get the electronic sensors and electrical stuff done. than get a diagnostics, then go from there. its the best way to go. dont second guess your self.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts