Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 02 ls with 3800 engine and have several questions:

1. What is a good oil for everyday driving. Car has 83,000 miles and don't know if oil was change reg.

2. Have code MAF low input. I've taken the MAF out and cleaned it. Traced all wires, they appear in good shape. With cleaning sensor ses ligt stays off for about a week then comes beack on. Any suggestions?

Car has a noise in the front susp. Sounds like a dead strut. How can I check it?

Any help would be grateful. Thanks PC

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oil is mostly up to you. A lot of people swear by using dino oil, and others like synthetic. Neither is guaranteed to make your motor last longer than the other.

Synthetic will make any existing leaks more apparent, but it's generally higher quality.

Dino oil is a fair bit cheaper, but usually gets changed more often.

How many miles do you put on in a year? That's a big factor in which to choose.

For example, I only put on about 2,000 miles a year, since moving closer to work. I use synthetic now, so I only have to change the oil once a year.

If you drive a lot, most synthetics also offer a longer change intervals which helps to even out the cost difference between dino and synthetic.

FWIW, I was using Amsoil Synthetic, then switched to Castrol Synthetic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be driving app. 12,000 per year. I have used Asoil in my patrol car and changed at 15,000. DPS changes at 20,000. I'm just looking for a good oil. Have always used Penzoil but was told not to good. Thanks PC.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'll be driving app. 12,000 per year. I have used Asoil in my patrol car and changed at 15,000. DPS changes at 20,000. I'm just looking for a good oil. Have always used Penzoil but was told not to good. Thanks PC.
Do you have any oil burnoff?

I liked the Amsoil Extended Interval Oil and Filters. Only trouble for me was, it's not very widely available here... so I use Castrol Syntec.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I use Penzoil dino oil and anything BUT a Fram oil filter.

Once i get my oil cooler lines replaced,i may switch to a full synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
well i put 4 quarts of castrol 1040 and a quart of lucas trust me that lucas works wonders , i had a 1973 impala and it had 203,000 miles when i first got it , had the car for 6 years when it finally died (not the motor, the chassis crack because of cancer)it had 380,000 yes i know i put a whole lot of miles on it , and as far as oil filter i stay with ac delco filters , i buy them by the cases , comes out cheaper.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good idea on the delco filters.

I see this is where you've come to naioa from, Pete :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:confused:we had a discussion on lucas on another forum and someone said it causes bubble to rise in your oil :mad::eek::confused: anyone else hear this?:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts