Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off,Id like to say hi to everyone.I am Jim from NY and I don't have a impala right now but should within a week or 2.I am looking at a 2001 Impala LS with 46k miles.3.8 v6,leather interior,sunroof,all the good stuff for 9000 from a dealer.Now I have heard mixed opinons about reliability.My biggest thing right now is fuel economy which 28(give or take) is fine with me.but i want something that is going to last me a very long time(im sick of buying cars,ha).What should I know before I buy this?..is it going to last me a long time?..what repairs am i most likely going to see?.is it true transmissons going are common on these vehicles?Fill me in on every and anything i may want to know about this year,engine and so on.also if 9000 is a good deal.I really appreciate any help at all.Thanks.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have an 04 w/ alnost twice the milage, and as you can tell from my sig pic, i beat the living SNOT out of it ;)
The only issues i have had with the car are
-Clutches slipping (due to burnouts @ the track, and other abuse)
-2 bad O2 sensor codes, due to the 02 wiring harness melting on the headers (twice)
-front wheel hub (takes 1/2 hour to fix + alignment+ part $100-300 depending on part source)

Other than that i have had NO issues, and still use the car as a DD to work (40mi one way) even in the winter,

That being said, these cars do seem to go thru wheel speed sensor (one piece built into the hub) and have seen quite a few w/ clogged cats. The good news is that both of those are easily fixed. There are issues w/ the UIM gasket, but there are aftermarket alum. ones that i havent seen fail yet (under normal driving conditions). The Differental is fairly weak once you start modding, but again, under noraml DD conditions should be fine.

Just keep up on the maintainence and you should be fine.

BTW I still get an average of 26mpg (city & highway) :biggrin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts