Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the site and I picked up an 87 Caprice Wagon on the cheap. I am some questions that I hope you could all answer.

I am hoping to do some extensive modifications to this beast, but I would like com clarification on parts fitment. Does the wagon have the same suspension set-up as a sedan?

I am looking to lower the car a bit, but I am not sure on what will fit. I heard the bubble caprices still use the same suspension as the box, is that true? Can I just purchase items for a 91-96 (which seam easier to find) and bolt them on my 87?

Also, I have heard conflicting reports on what the bolt pattern is of the wheels. Does anyone know for sure?

I am going to be getting rid of the olds motor for an LS eventually, so I am mostly concerned with suspension parts for now.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :beer:
The wagons I belive had a bit stiffer suspention , Most 80s parts will fit (on my 83 the front bumper , grill , header panel , headlights , hood and right fender are from an 88 due to an accident.
What engine are you looking at. I swapped the 305 for a 350 crate engine , same block = easy swap double the HP
Not sure of your bolt patern , mine is 5X4 3/4 but you might have 5X5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wagons came with an olds motor (y code). They fazed out that option for all other body styles but kept them for the wagons until they switched to the bubbles. Unfortunately that puts a few items in different spots compared to a SBC. I already pulled a 5.3 LS motor that I was going to use in a different project, but I think I will just use it for the wagon.

I am mostly interested in suspension parts interchangeability in terms of fitment, not so much as spring and shock rates. For instance, can I pick up any ball joint for an 80's caprice and it will fit on the wagon, even if the part is labeled for a sedan? And I was thinking of upgrading the bushings and mine are worn. Will a kit for any caprice fit the wagon as well.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Welcome bonedizzle :
wagon rims are 15 X 7; 5 Lugs; 5 Inch Bolt Pattern . Very common in the GM line full size car and 1/2 tons.
307 olds has been a great motor for a lot of years, granted the ls is a good repower way to go.
Ball joints from 1977 to 1996 are all common interchange parts for full size cars.
I use the rockauto site for price and quick reference RockAuto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.