Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, looking for some ideas. I had some terrible clunkage up front so replaced the strut mounts and front pads.
110K on the ‘14 and struts were replaced at about 70K.
All went well after finding a shop to assemble the struts as far as the install is concerned and am pretty much pleased with the new NAPA strut mounts. The suspension is much more responsive and the clunk is gone.

since I pay attention to every sway and sound I’ve noticed a few things that I didn’t before:

*the vibes at idle are much more pronounced. To be expected I guess.
  • the braking seems to be uneven as if each sideis fighting each other when stopping. Maybe rotors are wavy? Don’t get a shimmy when braking though.
  • most concerning: a weird lateral (in/out) type of sway at the wheel as if the mount is allowing lateral movement of the strut assembly. more prevalent at a specific speed. Mostly smooth most of the time. Not sure if road surface indces it.
  • a weird unbalanced bounce type feel at 45-50 mph.
Im hoping that the mounts just need to break in or that this is just the result of a newer stiffer rubber. Also considering I might need tie rods and end links and possibly struts considering the age.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
TIA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wierd stuff Matt, Cant say I experience that. My 2017 with 19 in rims 45 series and 52K miles is starting to ride poorer when hitting the bumps. I did the self ball joint/suspension test when using a huge bar under tire and jerking up and i hear a clunk on both sides on what sounds like the Strut mount. Tightened them a bit and same crap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 17 is likely the lube issue between axle end and bearing
Service bulletin on it
Remove axle nut
Knock axle in on bearing housing
Lube splines on axle and bearing
Re torque axle nut 155lbs
Tip..no impact needed
Stick a punch between caliper top hole and rotor inside vane to remove and install axle nut

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 17 is likely the lube issue between axle end and bearing
Service bulletin on it
Remove axle nut
Knock axle in on bearing housing
Lube splines on axle and bearing
Re torque axle nut 155lbs
Tip..no impact needed
Stick a punch between caliper top hole and rotor inside vane to remove and install axle nut
Hmm, you have my attention. There is usually no detectable lube on the splines that insert into the wheel hub. This could be causing the clunking? I looked for the TSB and would love to see it if you have the location. thanks much

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check here gm tech assistance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts