Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what happened but I ended up with a free power steering pump earlier this week.

With this car, I decided that everything maintenance wise would be done at the dealer. But this one time I opted for the cheaper service and a shorter drive and took the Impala to Grease Monkeys down the street.

Oil was changed earlier in the month but I wanted to flush my power steering fluid (because its a pain in the ass to do it yourself) and fuel injector cleaning (which really smoothened the power/acceleration).

So I drop the car off at the garage and I take my seat in the waiting room. Its a Monday, early afternoon, not too busy. About 5 minutes after sitting down I heard some kind of commotion in the garage and suddenly 3 techs surrounded my car.

I think nothing of it but I'm also noticing other people getting power steering flushes and other services leaving before me. It wasn't until 15 minutes in waiting, a tech comes up and asks "power steering is being a little finicky, have you had any problems with it?" Of course I said no, which is the honest truth. A troubled look comes over his face and he walks back to the car.

About 30 minutes in now, a whole new round of people sitting around me and even they were starting to leave before me. All these cars being moved in and out, and my Impala sitting there with its hood open and three techs scratching their heads leaves me to believe there is a problem. Oh boy how much is this going to cost me? I start crunch numbers in my head...

Just then another tech comes in and asks if I had problems driving it and again I said no, but he gives a little more info and claims "air got into the lines" and that "they'll need to work it out." Okay, so I feel a little relieved!

But 45 minutes in waiting and a manager walks in and again asks me if I had problems with specifically the steering and again I say no. But I was about to find out that my 45 minute wait was going to turn into a 2 hour wait as apparently there is "air in the lines" and "they'll need to work it out and drive the car around."

By this time I'm starting to grow an appetite, hadn't eaten anything all day. Also, this Grease Monkey is out in the middle of no where. Pretty much I'm stranded here. So what's another hour, eh?

Well, after they've done everything they possibly could eventually they finally called it quits and things moved VERY quickly after this. First it was, "We're going to have to take your car down to the shop, but we'll need to drive it because it has no steering." Apparently they queued up an auto shop in a nearby city! I'm thinking... god, there goes the money for my trans cooler.

They were nice enough to lend me one of their employee's cars to follow them to the shop with and uh get this... it was...

A '95 Mustang SVT Cobra with apparently 500hp. :yikes:

I'm not kidding... this particular employee, who was a cool guy, works on Mustangs in his spare time and this Cobra was his new project car. He had already done a lot of mechanical work but the interior was in shambles... torn out dash, ripped up seats, flappy plastic door panels, tools everywhere! But my god did it sound and feel incredible. 500hp yearning for release beneath my right foot. But I dared not tempt it, I've seen too many Mustang accident compilations on Youtube! But it was intense, even for it being an automatic. I made my mind up right then to get a cat-back, maybe a Corsa conversion.

I did floor it a couple of times, just to see what it was like but I quickly chickened out in the time that it took to finally select a gear. The transmission lag was terrible but probably for my own good. I also kind of relished in the situation because it was neat to see my car from such a perspective and to see how it looks from the outside and while in action. Looks really stock, but still pretty good.

So we finally arrive at the auto shop and this is when I found out that everything was being paid for and being handled through Grease Monkey. Parts, Labor, and they even comp'd the fuel injection and of course the damned power steering flush. I didn't even have to sign papers, I merely gave up my keys and to my surprise was handed another set!

As if it wasn't enough to pay for the part/labor and comp the services, they also set me up through Enterprise with a rental car! A 2013 V-dub Beetle, dark grey with black interior. Such a neat car, but of course gutless compared to the might of a 300hp LS4. Funny to see me driving one because I'm a big guy, but it did fit me good enough. Though not powerful, it was deceptively fast and for some reason had a 160mph speedo.

The interior is over the top though. Piano black center console and dash, with bright LED red lighting. At night it looks like something from Star Wars, I seriously felt like Darth Vader cruising around in a tie fighter! lol.

Anyway... I never did find out what really happened to the power steering pump. I was given 3 different possibilities... 1) the pump failed during the flush at Grease Monkeys 2) Air bubbles in the line blocking the fluid, resulting in a burned out pump? 3) Metal shavings lodged somewhere. But apparently, GM took responsibility and really covered my ass.

The Impala now drives like a dream, as it always had, but I notice there is some steering pump whine which wasn't there before. Hmmm... but can't complain, I went to Grease Monkey's and saved $500. :WTF:

·
Super Moderator
18,469 Posts
Very cool Nick!!! What a story! (sounds like they might have boo-booed, and didnt want to say...):wink:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Always great to hear a positive service story!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These places always get a bad rap, IMO. I feel a little bad because they went so far to make me happy and probably I'll never use them again.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
But, you will probably recommend them to others along the way because they didn't screw you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts