Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some pics today of the build. I have all of the body and trim back on the car, and now I am working on getting the dents and dings out of it. I am hoping that by this spring I will be ready for paint. I am going either silver metallic, or gunmetal gray metallic. Here are the pics:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Where did you put the evaporative canister since you moved the battery to its location?

Nice work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you put the evaporative canister since you moved the battery to its location?

Nice work.

I actually kept it in its original location. I had to tighten it up toward the top as much as I could, and I had to cut a notch in the plastic front fender extension, but that was all for fabrication. It was only a small notch, and did not affect the way it mounted to the fender.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updates

Here are some more pics. I recently aquired some Impala SS Rims.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Are you going to sell the original hubcaps? If so I might be interested.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the compliment. I don't think that I will be getting rid of the 15 inch wheels just yet. I am planning on keeping them, so that I can maintain that original look when I want to. I have seen a set of these exact wheel covers on Ebay recently though.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have seen them too. I personally think he is asking to much, IMHO, for used ones.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I am really getting sick of body prep. I just don't have the time and patience. I am more of a take apart and put together type of guy, not a painter or worse yet, a bondo sculpter! The car isn't in bad shape, but has its share of dings and dents. Hopefully if all goes well, it will be painted and road ready by the summer! I will keep posting as it progresses.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

The car has been in the paint shop since June, and is finally nearing completion. I hired someone at a paint shop to do this project on the side, so that is why it is taking so long. The car has been stripped down again, all body panels reworked and new metal put in where old rusty spots once were, every dent and imperfection has been pulled out or replaced, and the doors and panels are adjusted in their proper locations. The body has been primed, and block sanded twice, and the door jambs have been painted. I also bought new door seals and trunk weatherstripping for everything.

I will be very excited to get the car back in a few weeks once it is done being painted, so that I can put the rest of the car back together! Attached are some recent pics of the progress. The shop owner also has a step by step collage of the work done that I will be uploading to my blog, once it is finished.

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Striping it down to bare metal is the only way to go in my book. Sounds like you are getting a good quality job done. Nice work, should look really good when done. I also like the detail they put into prepping the door jam as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the compliments! This project has taken alot more time than anticipated, however, I am glad that I am getting toward the end, and that everything I am doing, is done right. I have purchased new trim mouldings, and some engine dress up items that I am itching to get put on the car once it is done. I have been told that the end of this week it will be painted, and perhaps next week it will be wetsanded and buffed. I will post some pics once that is done.

Stewart, you certainly have been an inspiration for this! Keep up the good work with your Roadmonster!

Kenny, thanks for the words of encouragement, and I really enjoy reading your posts!

Jason

1 - 20 of 85 Posts