Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I would take the advice of the site and introduce myself. I recently bought my first car, an '06 Chevy Impala SS and I love it. I'm just on here looking for ways to improve it on a relatively small budget (college student problems). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Welcome, what you looking to do performance, handling etc. etc etc
Pic of the beast would be nice also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I would definitely post a pic but I do not have a phone that can post pics on the internet or a camera for that matter. I will as soon as I get a chance though!
I would love to improve horsepower and possibly make it a little louder without any negative effects to performance. Also, any way to improve fuel efficiency is helpful.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
search the forum here there are lots of ideas. The cheapest would be to mod your air filter box by making more holes or enlarging the air intake hole. You can then run a standard filter or switch to a high performance drop in filter.
Also how many miles on car if you have more than 70,000 mile might think about new plugs and wires, standard ac delco plugs and wire work very good in our cars.
Good luck modding on a budget.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have about 78,000 on my car so I will definitely look in to getting new plugs and wires. Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Welcome!:beer: Pics are a neccessity. When you can, of course....:eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Mufflers will improve the sound, intake and tune will do the rest. That's the most bang for your buck. Welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mufflers will improve the sound, intake and tune will do the rest. That's the most bang for your buck. Welcome!
I have heard that mufflers reduce performance because the air flow coming out is constricted. Also, how much does a tune up cost?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
There may be some mufflers out there that is true with, but if you go with flowmaster, magnaflow, borla, or any of the major players, you will have more flow than stock. Some have claimed performance increases from muffler swaps, but unless I see a dyno sheet proving otherwise, I assume they are being fooled by the sound. By "tune" I mean a computer tune, not a tune-up. Your car has two, an ECM and TCM, engine and transmission computers. Usually I recommend overkill motorsports, but I don't know off hand what he charges for the 8th gen tune, and I'm not sure where he stands with the 5.3L tune. You could always ask him though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
magnaflow has always worked for me, others like flowmaster. There is an exhaust thread on here with sound clip check it out.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Normally it would be here http://www.getoverkilled.ca/ but the site seems to be down...

For mufflers, its mostly a matter of preference. But dyno tests have shown Borla is the superior performing muffler out of all brands I have seen tested. They actually provide hp gains OVER open pipes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts