Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this summer that one of of my upper motor mounts has a small crack in it, and recently I've noticed some other weird stuff too.
The engine seems to produce a squeak when I hit a bump, like the mounts are protesting in their old age (we recently passed up 160k and 13 years). Also, at low rpms, the whole thing shakes, especially after my long drives to and from college.
I understand the shaking may be the torque converter or even the transmission, but that's on a long list of repairs anyway. My concern now is if I need to replace those motor mounts immediately to avoid more complications or if they can sit till the summer when I can more comfortably afford that repair.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The lower mounts effect that much more than the uppers, the upper mounts are more for stability.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lower mounts effect that much more than the uppers, the upper mounts are more for stability.
Are the lower ones something I could manage on my own or should I have them do that while they rebuild my trans?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
if they are doing new trans have them replace while they are there if they are worn badly

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cheap solution for the mean time fill the upper mounts with window weld it makes it like a solid mount

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called a shop for a quote on my trans rebuild and replacing the lower mounts, and they told me they'd put the mounts on for free with the rebuild (a reasonable 1750).

Then they told me the mounts themselves would cost an extra 200. WUT. I thought they were like 25 apiece, and there's only three on the bottom, right? Am I missing something here, or is two bills for those mounts just ridiculous?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have another thread all about that, but basically the clutches are worn out and their graphite is floating about my fluid, it has trouble shifting, especially when hot, and fourth gear is gooooone.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
There are two lower mounts, I would just buy them yourself and give them to the shop when you take the car in. I know the motor mount is only like $20 on rockauto, I think the trans mount is a little more, but not that much.

Reactions: tjeick

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Good luck finding the upper engine mounts. What mount is it? It is the cast aluminum one that mounts to the block correct? If it's the passenger one you are most likely better off finding an l67 (3.8 supercharged) than trying to find an l36 as they are kinda hard to find. Just be sure to get the adapter plate for the coil packs. The l67 mount is MUCH stronger as it is cast iron and is much easier to bolt on. Your cracked mount will likely fail in do time if you launch it hard sometimes, like I do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are two lower mounts, I would just buy them yourself and give them to the shop when you take the car in. I know the motor mount is only like $20 on rockauto, I think the trans mount is a little more, but not that much.
See that's what I thought. I've never worked with this shop before, this is pretty concerning that they're charging that much for them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck finding the upper engine mounts. What mount is it? It is the cast aluminum one that mounts to the block correct? If it's the passenger one you are most likely better off finding an l67 (3.8 supercharged) than trying to find an l36 as they are kinda hard to find. Just be sure to get the adapter plate for the coil packs. The l67 mount is MUCH stronger as it is cast iron and is much easier to bolt on. Your cracked mount will likely fail in do time if you launch it hard sometimes, like I do.
I'm not sure what it's made of, but it does bolt straight on to the block, then connects to the torque struts, (which I've heard called dog-bones?) and the frame.

should I just go to any old parts store for those or is there somewhere special I should order from?

I need to get a good look in there to know what you mean about the coil pack, I think.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Oh... I'd say junkyard is probably your best bet on that.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ 2nd that but, rather than buying a crap aluminum one that will likely break again you are better off with the l67 which, mounts on the side of the block and replaces the coil pack mount. Your coil packs are then mounted on top of the l67 mount. The l67 is an all in one type mount. The stock l36 mount actually bolts to the lower intake manifold and is a PITA to get off. If however your mount has not cracked like mine you MUST shorten the mounting bolts and put them back into the lower intake manifold as the bolt hole's go all the way through and into the manifold.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^ 2nd that but, rather than buying a crap aluminum one that will likely break again you are better off with the l67 which, mounts on the side of the block and replaces the coil pack mount. Your coil packs are then mounted on top of the l67 mount. The l67 is an all in one type mount. The stock l36 mount actually bolts to the lower intake manifold and is a PITA to get off. If however your mount has not cracked like mine you MUST shorten the mounting bolts and put them back into the lower intake manifold as the bolt hole's go all the way through and into the manifold.
Do i need any kind of adapter for that, or can I just take the coil pack off and slap it right on?

Also, How do I know if I should replace my struts and the mounts that go straight on the frame? They look okay to me, but they very well may be the source of the squeaking.

I can find a trans mount no problem, what does the lower passenger side motor mount even look like? You look for a motor mount, and there's a million different options.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Do i need any kind of adapter for that, or can I just take the coil pack off and slap it right on?

Also, How do I know if I should replace my struts and the mounts that go straight on the frame? They look okay to me, but they very well may be the source of the squeaking.
Yes you need the adapter plate from the l67 mount. The dogbones and crossmember mounts should be fine. I would however inspect the steel/rubber bushing's on the crossmember mounts for cracking.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts