Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from San Diego!

My turn w the family’s ‘58. It was my grandmother’s Mother’s Day gift in ‘58 and it’s been in the family since. True story. It’s the iconic teal, white convertible, w factory air conditioning. It has the 348 with the original 4-barrel (really, grandpa, no 6-pack??) and an auto trans.

My uncle went through the engine, transmission, rear end, and started body work. Interior’s still out, trim’s still off, but I have all of it except carpet and the door panels, which both had rotted fiberboard. Other than replacing what’s broken or missing, I’m hoping to keep it as stock as possible.

It’s all original except the radiator, which I just replaced because the original copper 2-row core had split. Went with an after market Champion aluminum 3-row for added cooling (part 1661, $215).

I’m looking for help with two issues that I also posted in the Gen 1-3 forum:

1. It pulls severely to the right when braking. I heard this may be a clogged front left brake line that is forcing the front right brake to take all of the load. If I hit the brakes hard, the front right tire will actually skid. Let go of the steering wheel while braking, and it spins fast to the right. Brakes are original drums, pads are in good shape, and they were recently adjusted and bled, though doing so didn’t help. (I know...I need disc brakes, see below.) Any thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

2. It starts and idles beautifully. Revs great if I manipulate the carb linkage by hand. Drop it in drive and it idles lower, but not abnormally low and never dies. Actually sounds healthy, throaty. But when I accelerate or drive at constant RPMs, it runs rough, missing a bit, and is slow to get up to speed. Almost like it’s chugging lightly, as if running rich, but I’m not seeing it blow blue or black smoke and it never floods out. Heads are rebuilt and valves are tight. Compression is good, and even among all 8. So what’s the culprit? Original carb too old (or...fingers crossed...an easy adjustment)? Maybe fouled plugs? Bad wires, cap, rotor, or points? Maybe running lean rather than rich?

Upcoming projects, not necessarily in this order - and seeking any advice!
  • Installing seatbelts
  • Replacing rusted-out trunk floor pan
  • Rebuilding convertible top motors and installing new fabric
  • Tightening up steering - lots of play at the gear box, steering wheel spins ~45° before wheels move
  • Installing floor pan insulation kit (for noise & heat) under carpeting
  • And yes, eventually doing the disc brake conversion
Please chime in - I’d very much appreciate your $.02!

Cheers,
Gary

683905F2-1801-4356-8D55-42D6D151F456.jpeg
EA67E129-E980-4773-8F56-2DC6D216A036.jpeg

·
Registered
557 Posts
Nice car.

Changing the Brake Hoses would be a good idea. On the engine running rough, I would start with a super-tune. Plugs, Points, Condensor, Rotor, Cap, Wires (if needed), Timing, spray clean Carb and Carb Adjustment. If it still runs rough after that, I would have the Carb rebuilt.

Keep us posted on it.

·
Super Moderator
18,473 Posts
WELCOME! LOVE the 58!!!
When I read the part of your story about the carb, my first thoughts were the same as 62BillT! Could be some gunk in the carb. A tune up would be in order! Can't wait to see the finished deal!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome! Neat story and project. I believe the 1958 was just an upscale trim and in 1959 became it's own model. selling 407,200 over the 6 versions, among the coupe, sedan, vert and wagon.

Gram & grand pop would be proud. Stock is the only way to go, bravo!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts