Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Australia and moved to Canada 10 years ago.

I have a background in installing/maintaining/teaching the ground based hardware used for aviation navigation and communication systems, and have been a computer nerd for 4 decades (from the era when if you wanted a computer, you built your own).

The Impala was bought 2 months ago when we needed a car in a hurry when the replacement of a failed front wheel bearing/hub on my 2008 Chrysler Aspen turned into a bigger ordeal than expected due to corrosion and my wife's 2002 Saturn SL1 failed its vehicle inspection also due to corrosion (lots of salt used on the roads here in Winter).

The Impala was relatively cheap as the woman that owned it got a DUI conviction and lost her license for a few years plus needed cash in a hurry to pay her fine. She listed it for sale on a Facebook group about 2 months before we bought it, but people that looked at it saw all the electrical problems and walked away, so the price kept dropping as she got more and more desperate for cash.

Electrical problems don't scare me and the few mechanical issues that would need looking at were nothing I couldn't deal with. The combination of driveable and cheap, got us out of a bind (we're in a rural part of Nova Scotia, with long work commutes, equally long trips to do any shopping, and zero public transport).

The list of electrical issues is pretty long ... mainly due to somebody trying to repair things without knowing what they were doing or coming up with a jury-rigged "fix" to bypass the problem (for example, the problem with the horn jamming on was fixed by disconnecting the horn).

As for mechanical issues, in the 2 months we've owned it I've replaced the left front wheel bearing (was noisy when we got it), water pump (bearing was noisy and about 2 weeks ago the bearing failed totally and the impeller chewed a hole through the pump housing - traced back to strain caused by a serpentine belt that was a few inches too short) and a dragging rear disk caliper (noticed the paint on the alloy wheel was blistering). Still got to deal with problems related to the crappy factory parts used in the design of the rear suspension.

Even so, my wife is happy with the Impala, and other than being slightly more thirsty than her old Saturn (but not by much), it is much more stable on the highway and doesn't try to change lanes by itself if there's any sort of crosswind on bridges.

I've got a couple of project vehicles I'm working on ... a 1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 and a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. The Jaguar needs all the suspension/engine/transmission mount rubbers replaced, and there's an issue with the Lucas ignition system, but it's rust free and most of the issues are just due to the poor parts that British Leyland used during assembly to save a bit of money. The Land Rover was my wife's vehicle, but they are notorious for corrosion issues and it may need a complete replacement chassis to get it back on the road. I don't have time to do anything with the Land Rover at the moment and it could end up becoming a parts donor for another Land Rover project vehicle.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Welcome to the Impala Forum!
Sounds like a lot of projects. That’s awesome!
Got any pics?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Welcome!! :beer:

Nice stable there....Can't WAIT for pics of the 'Pala!!:nerd

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to know that there is life after nerddom. Great people here and lots of knowledge too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome!! :beer:

Nice stable there....Can't WAIT for pics of the 'Pala!!:nerd
Thanks for the welcome ... but you really don't want to see the Impala.

A few years of the previous owner treating it like crap, someone applying a really nasty "home brew" rust prevention spray coating (they even got the horrible brown sticky mess on the inside of the headlight lenses), some really bad bodywork rust repairs, and my wife attempting a PIT Maneuver on a large deer just 4 days after we picked it up, means it is not the prettiest Impala around.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
But.....:sad5: .....but...... :sad5:

:sign12:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But.....:sad5: .....but...... :sad5:

:sign12:
You had to push it. Couldn't leave it alone. Be it on your head.

Here's a shot from the right front headlight back. See that brown stuff. It's got the consistency of thinned out road tar that's been applied and let to congeal. It's certainly not dry. You can scrape it off with a fingernail. It's in the headlights and on almost every reachable place in the engine bay. There's a lesser quantity around the door jambs and in the trunk. I suspect where there are bare areas, that's because whatever poor schmuck has had to work on the vehicle, has had the goo was transferred to his clothing.

I've seen a few cut price rust prevention places do something similar, but the last time I saw it done by a "professional" was back in Australia almost 4 decades ago, and they were doing 4x4s that were going to be used on ocean beaches. In these cases, the vehicle owner didn't care about the look as long as it gave him a bit of rust protection.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Grimey and all....Thanks for the pic!

I kinda like pics....

of cars......

:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It needs a lot of work. I don't know if I'll be fixing it properly, or doing just enough to make it safe and a bit more user friendly.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like someone went crazy with Fluid Film. That's my guess as what that may be. It's a very good product, when used like it's supposed to be used and not as a "Dip". That being said, hot water pressure wash will remove it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum. Nice to know that there is life after nerddom. Great people here and lots of knowledge too.
I was supposed to be retired long before this ... then my wife walked out of a management job, and I had to go back to work to support the household. Currently doing graphic arts/tech maintenance/web design for a small publisher.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forum. Looks like someone went crazy with Fluid Film. That's my guess as what that may be. It's a very good product, when used like it's supposed to be used and not as a "Dip". That being said, hot water pressure wash will remove it.
I have a compressed air degreasing gun that I plan to use with a bucket of non-solvent degreaser and/or detergent.

Had a painter where I used to work that we called "Dip Coat Wally". Any item that needed to be painted (or even just needed a few chips touched up) and was small enough to fit into a paint can, he'd tie to a piece of wire, dip it in the can, and then hang it up to dry. Didn't matter what it was, it got dipped. The amount of electronics that he destroyed because we just wanted a couple of chips touched up on the equipment case was frightening. We knew his schedule, so we'd plan our visits to the paint shop for times he wasn't on duty ... too bad if the on-duty painter was busy and put the job aside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts