Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impala 3.4L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I need advice. I am at wits end. I have had an 01 Impala 3.4L for about a year now and I have LOVED it. Until it stopped loving me about 3 weeks ago. It was my daily driver for 120 mile a day commute for work.

I left work and drove it beautifully for 60 miles and stopped by my house to run in the store. Was in there about 5 minutes and came out to a crank but no start. Added 3 gal of gas because my fuel gauge didn't work and I knew I was getting low (Gas Station was my next planned stop) but nothing. "Well I burnt the fuel pump out" I thought as I've done that to a vehicle before. It would start for a few seconds off starter fluid so that confirmed it in my mind.

Installed new Master Guard pump and nothing.
New Fuel Filter. Nothing
Read up about the passkey anti theft and performed a key relearn process. Nothing
Ordered a refurbished ECM and had it flashed to my VIN. And relearned key. Nothing.
Called a friend with fuel pressure gauge and checked pressure at the rail off the valve behind the power steering pump and got almost no pressure. He said it was a bad fuel pump still so I took it back and got a warranty replacement. Installed it and got 15psi max on crank. He said it was a crap brand and said I needed an AC Delco brand (which was twice the price). That didn't seem right to me. Had another friend suggest the fuel pressure regulator so I replaced that yesterday and still nothing....

Ready to pull my hair out. I love this car and it has always ran like a champ. Don't wanna give up but I'm getting close. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm assuming you've checked the fuel lines for leaks and the fuel pressure regulator doesn't have fuel dripping out of the vacuum line connection.
Also assuming you've been through the electrical and verified you have good connections and a good fuel pump relay.

You get what you pay for.
Get a Delphi pump if you can find one. Delphi is an OEM supplier. Denso are usually close to Delphi in quality.
AC Delco is no longer affiliated directly with GM and a lot of their parts are now no better than BWD & Dorman for twice the price or more. If you can't find Delphi then give Delco a try.
Rock Auto has AC Delco for around $175. Denso are over $260, and Delphi are near $300 depending on the parts house.
Most of the other aftermarket fuel pumps are darn near worthless.

·
Registered
2001 Impala 3.4L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you've checked the fuel lines for leaks and the fuel pressure regulator doesn't have fuel dripping out of the vacuum line connection.
Also assuming you've been through the electrical and verified you have good connections and a good fuel pump relay.

You get what you pay for.
Get a Delphi pump if you can find one. Delphi is an OEM supplier. Denso are usually close to Delphi in quality.
AC Delco is no longer affiliated directly with GM and a lot of their parts are now no better than BWD & Dorman for twice the price or more. If you can't find Delphi then give Delco a try.
Rock Auto has AC Delco for around $175. Denso are over $260, and Delphi are near $300 depending on the parts house.
Most of the other aftermarket fuel pumps are darn near worthless.
I swapped the relay with another one in the fuse box that matched it but haven't replaced it. Pump definitely runs and I got power on all lines on the pump pigtail. Oreilly's wanted like $350 or something for a Delco. The one they had was still like $140

·
Registered
104 Posts
No but it's a good point to keep in mind. I bought my replacement pump module from Amazon and so far no problems, replaced as a PM rather than a failure. Some are better than others and unfortunately I can't get you the name/number of the one I got. Do check the voltage at the pigtail with the pump connected, no-load won't show any drop. Filter plugged by chance?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Any way to check fuel pressure and volume closer to the pump? At the pump or at the filter.

·
Registered
2001 Impala 3.4L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any way to check fuel pressure and volume closer to the pump? At the pump or at the filter.
I was wondering the same thing. I had to break down and buy a beater to get back and forth and haven't messed with the impala but looking to get back to it very soon. That delco on rock auto is much cheaper than O'Reilley's might be worth another gamble. The only thing that I haven't replaced in the fuel system at this point is the lines I feel like. But the fact that it was such a sudden failure with no loss of power leading up to tells me it's got to be something pump related.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I had to break down and buy a beater to get back and forth and haven't messed with the impala but looking to get back to it very soon. That delco on rock auto is much cheaper than O'Reilley's might be worth another gamble. The only thing that I haven't replaced in the fuel system at this point is the lines I feel like. But the fact that it was such a sudden failure with no loss of power leading up to tells me it's got to be something pump related.
If you can swing the extra $20 for the Delphi pump, do it. The Delphi fuel pump modules I've purchased are exponentially better quality than the Delco units.

You need to find the fuel pressure test port and hook up a gauge that can read around double the expected pressure.
This is an '05. It's a Gen VII but may be slightly different from the '01.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I would be sure to check the $14 fuel pressure regulator and the $12 fuel filter before dropping the tank to replace a $200 fuel pump module.
Kind of a miserable job but not as bad or as expensive as the fuel pump module. And. You won't be kicking yourself when you discover it's not the fuel pump module you just replaced for 200 bux and two entire weekends.
You have to remove the throttle body or get a 22mm ??? crows foot wrench (not positive on that size) and bend your arms into an unnatural position to pull the fuel pressure regulator on the 3100 3400 engines. Ends up being six of one and half dozen of another. Same amount of time either way. Turning things 1mm at a time is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. LOL

Reactions: sheila
1 - 10 of 10 Posts