Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd check in here and contribute my $.02 worth as there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity at this point among this generation of Impala fans.

I just bought an '08 Impala LT in Precision Red with an Ebony interior. It's pretty much your run of the mill family hauler. It seems to perform and ride very well and the gas mileage seems reasonable for a vehicle of this size. I traded in a Isuzu SUV on it.

The first thing I saw that I really liked is the non-reflective coating on the top of the dashboard, I hate those dashboard reflections in the windshield. I'm still trying to find my way around the dashboard controls and find out how every thing operates.

I would be interested in finding out what the real world gas mileage figures are for this series of Impala. Can anyone help out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thought I'd check in here and contribute my $.02 worth as there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity at this point among this generation of Impala fans.

I just bought an '08 Impala LT in Precision Red with an Ebony interior. It's pretty much your run of the mill family hauler. It seems to perform and ride very well and the gas mileage seems reasonable for a vehicle of this size. I traded in a Isuzu SUV on it.

The first thing I saw that I really liked is the non-reflective coating on the top of the dashboard, I hate those dashboard reflections in the windshield. I'm still trying to find my way around the dashboard controls and find out how every thing operates.

I would be interested in finding out what the real world gas mileage figures are for this series of Impala. Can anyone help out?
Welcome! As for the mileage...usually less than the manufacturers listing. I am not sure as they vary from year to year and model (size motor). Mine currently gets 19 mpg city. I have an '06 LTZ with a 3.9. There are ways to increase mileage, such as cold air intake, and synthetics for your gas and oil. I also added a Tornado and have seen a significant increase in power and I get at least a couple more MPG's now.
I have yet to install a cold air intake but might add a couple more MPG's.

Are you also a member of NAIOA? There are Plenty of '00-08 W bodied Impalas there. I do a lot of Photo Chopped work on that site..usually rims, color and graphic mods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's way cool!

:hello::wink::cool:

Welcome to Impala 'ville. I have a 2007 with Imperial Blue and Ebony interior.
Real world gas mileage with the 3.5 liter averages 26.4 for the first 10,000 miles (lowest 22 mpg city & highest 30.8 mpg highway). I love the car - best I've ever had. The car handles decently, brakes with authority, and has comfortable driver seating. My 19 year old son took the Impala out to duel with his 99 mustang v-6 convertible and the Impala won with ease! I have absolutely no complaints after the first 13 months of ownership. If I could just figure out how to keep the field mice out of my engine compartment (they come into the garage at night to seek shelter from the cold) - any ideas? They ate the cookies off of the sticky traps we set and are avoiding the old standard traps. Some car problem - Huh? The basic On-Star gave me an instant check-out of the engine when I got some bad gas at the service station & saved a trip to the dealer. My wife prefers the Impala to her 2000 Mustang GT convertible! Sure would like to arrange a drag match of a 2008 Impala SS vs. a 2008 Mustang Gt. I think the Impala SS would take it. Anyone have the stats on that?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Sorry not stats on the cars. But I would like to see the Impala SS send the Mustang home crying!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I can tell you the wife surprised a Mustang the other day with our '08 SS and he didn't want to play after she beat him off the line.
Now I like that, any idea what year of the Mustang she sent home depressed?

You know my Impala may be old and slow compared to the SS's but I would not trade it for a Mustang! Come to think about it I would not even trade it off for the Impala SS's either. I do not have any thing at against the SS's just like my old car, it is big, roomy, comfortable and runs well, just can't beat that. Oh and simple to work on, that is a bbiigg pplluuss.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Impala

I average almost 30mpg when I do mostly highway driving. I usually get about 25mpg over the course of an entire tank of gas though. I drive mine hard. I had to replace the tires at 40,000 miles. steel cords coming though. I drive the hell out of it. It's a company car; lease vehicle.
I bet an ol' granny could drive this car and average 40 mpg with it.

I love my Impala. I just need to get it lowered about 2 inches, then I'll be happy. Oh, that and more displacement maybe. :)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi folks,
Had my '08 Impala LT 3.5L for 2 weeks now. Overall love it but have some small issues: 1- get water in trunk when I wash the car (yes...I did have the trunk closed...), 2- wind noise around driver's door at highway speeds makes me think window or door is not shut tight, and 3- small rattle in front end similar to a bad tie rod. Overall though, I'm pleased. First tank of gas have averaged 28.5 mpg (70% city/ 30% highway). I drive it pretty gently. Next tank on 70% ethanol averaged 24.7mpg. So I'm pleased.

Two questions for the group: anyone have similar issues as I mentioned AND are there any performance modules/ chips available for the car?

I have no water leaks in mine, and I am extremely pleased at the lack of wind noise; so I am pretty sure that your car needs repairs on these areas.

My car also has the "rattle" in the front end. I have had multiple mechanics look at it, and drive it, and no one has any idea. It could/should be described as a noticeable creak/groan when maneuvering through parking lots. It seems related to suspension travel in the front end. I don't know what it is, but it'll break soon, then I'll fix it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
We just bought an '08 SS and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A RUSH when you mash the pedal to the floor.....This car has quite a set of KAHONNIES! It has a lot of room and gets 22mph on the hiway as long as you keep your foot out of the 8 cylinders
I'm not "stock any more" but running real world 24-26 mpg on a top swapped 3800, and still pull about 30 mpg w/ the cruise set :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got 27 mpg on hiway using cruise control even put my foot in it a few times. I've got an '08 SS Impala with the 5.3 Liter. No problems with water leaks in trunk or air leaks in the cab. I love this car! Never had a car before with this much power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry not stats on the cars. But I would like to see the Impala SS send the Mustang home crying!
If it races a pre 99 Mustang that's stock or lightly modded, the impala SS should smoke it with ease!

Any stock 99-04 GT should be a drivers race with the edge going to the Mustang. The 06 Impala SS runs a 1/4 mile in 14.3, whereas the 99-04 GT runs it in 14.1.

05+ GT's would walk it like it's standing still.......and Cobra's...........well let's just say bus lengths would be the only way to measure the gap:wink:

Regardless for what it is, the Impala SS is pretty impressive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Impala LTZ , 3.9 litre 233 hp. Very nice ride. HOWEVER, I have been in the shop 3 times in the last 13 days with almost 1000 dollars of warranty work done without any resolution. I have a meeting with the dealer to get into another one, as I think this one is a "lemon". Other than that I had an impala before this for 4 years and it was great! I almost wish i never traded it in with all of the issues. When I turn left and accellerate, there is a heavy vibration/rattle then goes away when I straighten the wheel. I have had 4 mechanics on it, and there answer is "just drive it". The car only has 1200 km on it!!! Any ideas?

·
Registered
483 Posts
If it races a pre 99 Mustang that's stock or lightly modded, the impala SS should smoke it with ease!

Any stock 99-04 GT should be a drivers race with the edge going to the Mustang. The 06 Impala SS runs a 1/4 mile in 14.3, whereas the 99-04 GT runs it in 14.1.

05+ GT's would walk it like it's standing still.......and Cobra's...........well let's just say bus lengths would be the only way to measure the gap:wink:

Regardless for what it is, the Impala SS is pretty impressive!
Comparing a mustang to a impala isnt a fair comparison. Impala 4 dr family car. Bigger & heavier. Mustang 2 dr sporty car. Smaller and lighter.
Mustang vs camero.........done to death.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an 08 SS and do quite a bit of driving. Already have almost 34k miles on it. DIC says 19.9 mpgs and I got as much as 25mpgs with the car. The SS is the most under rated performance/family car out there!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2008 ss

About 8 months ago I started helping the u.s. postal service part time. I had to sell my 94 cobra with about 320 horse, after mods, and bought a '05 Impala to use on the mail route.I loved driving the Impala , but missed my "toy'. I missed the drives with my 11 year old son , who for some reason is a car nut..lol, but he understood why I had to sell the extra car.....fast forward to 3 days ago.....I gave the 05 to my mom and bought an 08 SS..........WOW....I called my son on the way back from the dealership and told him I bought us another car.I heard the disapointment in his voice when I told him it wasnt a Mustang. I took him for a cruise and he noticed immediately that the grocery getter in his words "doesnt lean as much as other big cars in curves" needless to say he (and me also) fell in love with the car. I explained to him it was a "sleeper" , he thought that was funny. I for one am glad that a car company produces a 4 door "family" car with guts.As for comparing cars you have to go "apples to apples". I can tell you from my experiance that my 94 smaller Cobra would of had trouble with this one.....Does anyone know how many 08 ss's where built ? I honestly have not seen any in my neck of the woods,even the 05's and up.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
About 8 months ago I started helping the u.s. postal service part time. I had to sell my 94 cobra with about 320 horse, after mods, and bought a '05 Impala to use on the mail route.I loved driving the Impala , but missed my "toy'. I missed the drives with my 11 year old son , who for some reason is a car nut..lol, but he understood why I had to sell the extra car.....fast forward to 3 days ago.....I gave the 05 to my mom and bought an 08 SS..........WOW....I called my son on the way back from the dealership and told him I bought us another car.I heard the disapointment in his voice when I told him it wasnt a Mustang. I took him for a cruise and he noticed immediately that the grocery getter in his words "doesnt lean as much as other big cars in curves" needless to say he (and me also) fell in love with the car. I explained to him it was a "sleeper" , he thought that was funny. I for one am glad that a car company produces a 4 door "family" car with guts.As for comparing cars you have to go "apples to apples". I can tell you from my experiance that my 94 smaller Cobra would of had trouble with this one.....Does anyone know how many 08 ss's where built ? I honestly have not seen any in my neck of the woods,even the 05's and up.

Too many.

·
Registered
7 Posts
33 coupe

Hi ,just my views on my just purchased 08 Impala,We only have 1100 miles on it .It is a 3.5 and we are getting 20.4 MPG,all in town driving.I had a 03 Seville before and this car rides as good as the Seville.No water leaks,just a small amount of wind noise in drivers window.Car was built in Canada in June of 08.Covered in overspray when I got it,and tires had flat spots from sitting so long,the Dealer took care of the problems.So far the car is fun to drive,we enjoy it.I am looking for lighted vanity mirrors and brighter tailights.good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pretty much the greatest car ever! I just got a 2008 Impala SS and it is a joy to ride. I have had a lot of fun leaning into the gas pedal but I can still drive nice and get decent economy. I mean come on a grocery getter with 300+ HP is nice. I love this car. I would recommend it to anybody thinking about getting a decent sized sedan with some get up and go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
07 3.9LT and get average of 26mpg, seen as low as 22mpg on all city and high was 38mpg for 55mph flat land cruise control. Highways around here are 70mph though so I get 28'ish now.

Pretty respectable for the hp, engine size, and car size combined.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts