Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Like a lot of people here I have an '01 that used to be a police cruiser. It actually only has 120k on it and runs really well.

I'm considering doing some upgrades to the engine and am just looking for some info. I was thinking of doing the supercharger swap but was wondering if it's really worth it. What kind of specs does the '01 police 3800 have and will the SC really boost that enough to justify the work/cost?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The police 3800 is the same engine as any NA 3800 of the same vintage. Here's a link to the first post I put up, with a sheet of info for the Police Package. It's for the 2005, but I'm sure yours is the same.

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-7th-gen-discussion/265876-2005-impala-cop-car.html

As for starting to mod, you can always start with the free ones, such as a MAF screen removal, dogbone flip, airbox hack... there's a few more but those are the few I've started with. Each makes a noticeable difference, and only cost time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The police 3800 is the same engine as any NA 3800 of the same vintage. Here's a link to the first post I put up, with a sheet of info for the Police Package. It's for the 2005, but I'm sure yours is the same.

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-7th-gen-discussion/265876-2005-impala-cop-car.html

As for starting to mod, you can always start with the free ones, such as a MAF screen removal, dogbone flip, airbox hack... there's a few more but those are the few I've started with. Each makes a noticeable difference, and only cost time.
Thanks jmakinen! The link in your thread is very informative.

One thing I have learned is that the '01 police cars were equipped with a higher geared tranny that was available in the Grand Prix but not standard Impalas. I did confirm this with another car I have (an '01 LS) which runs a lower mph at the same rpm with the same size tires. It also "seems" like my car has more power off the line than the LS, although this may be either my imagination or simply the fact that the LS has roughly 100k more miles on it. LoL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts