Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I know about the car:
1964 Impala SS convertible 327 carb not FI, Auto, no a/c, am radio, black on black w/red gut. Purchase in 1966 by my uncle for $1600 with 12k on it. Registration active through 1986, Odometer showing 58k. it’s been garaged in WV since he bought it. Been parked in the garage for 34 years. 100% unrestored, no rot, no accidents, no paint, #’s match, unmolested. It’s dirty but it’s all there. The interior is incredible

I have the paperwork from his purchase in 66’ but not the original owner.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sure looks good.

You mentioned not an "FI" a couple of times.

Are you referring to Fuel Injection?

As it wasn't available back then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hagerty lists 2 different 327’s, I was told the higher HP listed was the FI version that also comes in the Vette. I will be honest I am a Ford guy who now drives a Wrangler and keeps a 25 year old Miata to play with. I do not know much about older GM’s. If I stumbled across this car I wouldn’t have looked twice but it’s been in the family and I don’t wanna see it go somewhere and be chopped up or modded out. I like history and this car is a time capsule. I have a lot to learn to make this project happen.

·
Registered
570 Posts
They made 2 327's for the '64 Impala as you have stated, but one was the standard 250 HP 327 and the other was the high performance 327-300. That one also had a single 4-Barrel although it was an AFB (Carter) carb.

What you have there is a great find. Something all us Chevy guys would love to have. Keeping it original is extra special and would be more appreciated that way at a car show.

As mentioned, keep us posted on your progress with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I’m all for preserving it the way it sits. He kept it original. I think it’ll be more appreciated the way it sits rather than restomodded or even restored.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Hagerty lists 2 different 327’s, I was told the higher HP listed was the FI version that also comes in the Vette. I will be honest I am a Ford guy who now drives a Wrangler and keeps a 25 year old Miata to play with. I do not know much about older GM’s. If I stumbled across this car I wouldn’t have looked twice but it’s been in the family and I don’t wanna see it go somewhere and be chopped up or modded out. I like history and this car is a time capsule. I have a lot to learn to make this project happen.
FWIW, if it had stock fuel injection, I think it would look something like this in the pic. This is from an early 60's Corvette.

That said, it's hard to keep up with all the 327 variants. When I looked up my 66 Caprice years ago, it seems like there were 3 or 4 versions available for it, all carbureted (plus several other motors from 6-bangers to big blocks).

I haven't delved into it, but, from looking at the pic, it appears to be throttle body injection - not very sophisticated compared to what's available these days.

Doug

DSC_4582.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
Welcome!!! I LOOOOVE originality!!!! And I am glad you are keeping it that way! A car THAT original should be. Can't wait to see it cleaned up and running!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome! A true find and what a nice tribute to your uncle's memory. I too can't wait till she's cleaned up with a proper hand wax job, it'll be sweeeet. Garages are a godsend to preserve paint & interiors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could not get to the build tag without risking a cave in of crap onto the car. I need a day to move everything around the car on my next trip to WV, I did locate the correct key for the car, the original title and bill of sale from his purchase in 1966z

1 - 20 of 22 Posts