Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought that smoked headlights would improve the appearance of my Impala, but refused to live with the reduced light output that invariably comes along with smoked headlight covers. However, since I now have BPS Perfect Fit LED's on the way, which produce significantly more lumens of light than the stock halogen bulbs, I decided to revisit the notion of smoked headlights.

Since LED's typically will not function in reduced-voltage DRL mode, I thought I'd shoot for something with independent DRL emitters. I've read that LED emitters don't work well with projectors, and those generally don't get very good performance ratings anyway, so nothing fancy. Just some reflector-type headlamp housings with smoked lenses and dedicated DRL lights. I settled on these ...

Materials and construction quality appear to be on par with the OEM housings, and the fit was perfect. These also appear to be well sealed against moisture, but I won't be certain until our monsoon season rolls in. That will be a month or two from now.

I marked the low-beam pattern of the OEM headlamps on a wall before installing these, and then compared that against the pattern produced by the aftermarket pair after installation. The left headlight pattern was spot on. The right was slightly low, but I was able to bring the beam up to the same height as it had been with the OEM by using the vertical adjuster in the housing.

Here's a shot of the right headlight in DRL mode. The halogen low-beam is still operating at reduced voltage, but I anticipate that the LED replacement will not illuminate in this mode. This will leave only the park lamps, side markers, and the row of LED's active. We'll see ...

Note that these housings are NOT D.O.T. approved. I don't think any smoked housings can qualify for D.O.T. approval, so don't follow my lead if you live in a state that is diligent about enforcing headlight compliance. However, these same housings are available with clear lenses, which claim to have approval.

Cheers!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

UPDATE:

I've discovered that the LED strips along the bottoms of these housings that were advertised as LED DRL's are, in fact, fed from the parking lamp circuit. My fabric dash mat was obscuring the dash sensor right after this installation and I thought the headlights were in daytime mode when they were actually in nighttime mode. Figured I should post a head's-up for anyone thinking of buying a pair of these housings.

Whenever the sensor on the dash receives enough light to switch the headlights over to daytime operation, all the lamps, except for the low beams, are off, including the LED strips. Pisses me off!
:gaah:

I didn't discover this fact until I replaced all my halogen lamps with LED's this morning. Fortunately, the BPS Perfect Fit H11's do work in DRL mode, so there's that consolation.

Oh, well. I had long ago become accustomed to switching off the automatic headlight function and energizing the driving lights whenever I start the car during the day anyway. Set this way, the housings give me the driving lamps, parking lamps, side markers AND the LED strips, which is fine. Of course the tail lamps also illuminate in this configuration, but I'm good with that.
:icon_blackeye:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts