Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this, I was unable to find a "member builds" section on this forum. I'm doing a frame off restoration on a 65 Impala SS. Lots of rust repair to do. This will be a factory correct numbers matching resto. I'm 22 years old, and I work at a restoration shop in springfield TN. I'm doing this car for a customer. I myself, no offence but I am not a chevy guy. I don't know alot about them and would like some input and suggestions as I go through this restoration. I hope I found the right place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it all stripped down.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car came from Texas so it's not all that bad, but it's worse then me and the owner of the car expected. The more body filler I grind off this thing the more rust I find. I replaced the brakes, wheel seals, bearings, wheel cyl, ect. I took before and after pics. and I got the front drivers floor cut out for the replacement pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Looks like you have the back shoe's on wrong, in the pic's anyway it looks like you have the 2 short shoes on one side (dr) and the 2 longs on the other (pass). Might want to check them again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been a long week. I got all of the new pans in except the passenger floor because its on back order.

The body has been pulled off of the frame and the frame was blasted and powder coated, then set back under the car with new bushings before it came to my shop.

I'll check the brakes, but I'm pretty sure they were all the same length.

Attachments

·
Still Plays with Cars
282 Posts
Has the owner thought about disc brakes for the car or wants it all original? I installed 1969 impala disc brakes and a new dual master cylinder on mine and it stops so much better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has the owner thought about disc brakes for the car or wants it all original? I installed 1969 impala disc brakes and a new dual master cylinder on mine and it stops so much better.
I tried pushing the dual chamber master and front disks idea. but he said he wants to keep it original. Even though he wants it lowered in the front, and is going with a different color on the car then factory. The customer is always right I guess. lol.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That's the problem with customer's, they are right...even when thier wrong..LOL Your suggestion's for the brakes are as much a safety issue as an upgrade. The dual master for sure!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
new progress

I did some more rust repair today. The back deck under the rear glass was rusted on the ends and those pieces are not available aftermarket. so I had to make them.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
To my knowledge, i dont believe that piece is available yet. Looks like its coming along nicely. Cant wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To my knowledge, i dont believe that piece is available yet. Looks like its coming along nicely. Cant wait to see the finished product.
Thanks for the kind words, I kinda figured they were not re-popped. Do you know anywhere I could possibly get an original in decent shape? The one I have is about 90% bondo, 10% rust. The back glass leaked bad.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started grinding on the rear window channel to get all of the bondo off of it and found that most of it was all bondo! Rusted very bad. So I have to fabricate all of these pieces. There is two spots at the top, one of which I fixed today and the whole drivers side is through. I haven't ground down the rest but I expect the worst.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts