Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, found this forum while looking for some online help for my 07 LT. Bought it from Penske truck leasing for a steal a couple years back with only 96k and drove it to college and back. All highway, now at 134k. Had a few problems with it but the more I look around the more normal they all seem (Oil leaks, what I call foam on the inside of the oil fill cap, sloshing noise in the dash, etc). I look forward to reading more of the tips everyone is posting, thanks for ur help!

Only picture I have of my ride is the one after I got sideswiped on the interstate in town, enjoy. lol
(she's all better now)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Welcome! On to your problems...

You have a head gasket leak. Foam on the cap is coolant in your oil. The sloshing is the sound of low coolant (because its leaking into the oil). Not horribly difficult to do yourself ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I originally thought but the sloshing was more prevalent when I was in school. It's not low often now, I regularly check it. I read, I believe on this website, that the goo on the cap was from condensation, particularly because on the long neck the oil filler cap has between it and the valve cover combined with the cold temperatures we are experiencing. *Also, when I change the oil there does not appear to be coolant present, no milk shake appearance...
I may have mislead you with my list of problems, but thanks for ur input. I am going to check my radiator cap tomorrow for oil residue. Any other tips to help me decide if it is a blown head would be appreciated. As for the oil leak, it seems to be the middle or passenger side. Sometimes it leaks a lot, sometimes none it seems like. Always at my parents or gf's parents but i never notice a leak at my apt.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Welcome

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Welcome!!:beer: We could use some 'after' pics!! :wink:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Welcome, Sneakydeadman! If you ever need assistance while working with your dealer, or have any recall or warranty questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm available through private message on this forum!

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome! If you get the chance, take a look and see if oil is dripping off the oil filter housing. Common leak on the V6 is the gasket where the adaptor mates to the block. For the sloshing noise, a coolant flush may be in order. You probably just have a little air in there, but at that mileage it should be done anyway.

Reactions: Sneakydeadman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! If you get the chance, take a look and see if oil is dripping off the oil filter housing. Common leak on the V6 is the gasket where the adaptor mates to the block. For the sloshing noise, a coolant flush may be in order. You probably just have a little air in there, but at that mileage it should be done anyway.

Ya it was the damn Fram. Upgraded to a Wix filter and changed the oil. Thanks for ur help. I believe I will try a radiator flush next weekend. What type of coolant do u suggest using? I heard dex cool is bad.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Dexcool is fine, just don't get any regular antifreeze in it, and don't put any damn stop leak in it. I use generic, "partsmaster" extended life "add to any color antifreeze", you can pour it in anything.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
She looks smoooooth in back, there....nice!:eek:k3:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts