Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I'm tuning my 03 base model impala that I've had for about 2 years . I wanna do a 3.8 swap. I'm new to the forum thing. so does any one have any tips on tuning? or any thing. i.e. best places to go for parts?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
What do you mean by "tuning?" Are you wishing to tune the ECM, or are you looking for hardware to upgrade?

Or are you just looking for parts for the 3.8 swap?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding:) I'm honestly looking to do a 3.8 swap. I want to tube frame and go rear wheel drive at some point. Right now I just have a short RAM and exhaust with no res on the 3.4 with 195.000 miles. It still purs.. I wanna try and have a low budget. :( I found a 3.8 block with 110.000 miles on it for 850 is that a good price? or should I shoot for lowers miles? My main problem is not much money and its my daily driver.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
That seems pricey for a 3.8, unless it comes with absolutely everything on it (including the PCM) and is in great shape.

Honestly, I'd stick with the 3.4 until it needs work. If it's running fine, there's no reason to go swapping the motor out if it's your daily. And when you do eventually do the swap, I'd swap to the L67 or L32 supercharged 3800. If you're gunna do a swap, you might as well do it all the way.

However, if you plan on going RWD (which is a TON of work and lots of custom fabrication) you won't really be able to use the same setup, so I'd wait to do the swap until then if you're serious about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I want to do is build the 3.8 out side of the car.,. get it done and take the 3.4 that's in it now out and save it for when I blow up my 3.8.. is there any 3.8 rear wheel drive cars that I could possibly just swap my body over to? that you know of. I had that idea too.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
If you're gunna be building the motor, why not just get one from the junkyard for ~$200?

The late 90's f-bodys came with the 3.8, but it will take a LOT of cutting and chopping and custom fab to get it to work since the wheelbase is significantly shorter (101.1 for the f-body 110.5 for the Impala)

The s-10 has a closer wheelbase (108.3), but never came with the 3.8.

This is not really something you can do to a daily driver. It will take months if not years of fab work to make your car RWD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. So rwd bad idea. so can you help with tips on parts and fab work to build the 3.8 to go into my w body impala? And is it true ill have to redo my engine cradle?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts