Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I am new to the forum...I am a Spc. Deputy In the SF Bay Area and looking for a used 2002-06 9C1 Impala...In my collection I already have some cool GM police products:

1995 9C1 CHP Caprice
1992 B4C CHP Camaro
1977 Pontiac Lemans X-Sacramento County Calif Sheriffs Dept..unrestored
1962 Biscayne X-Pismo Beach Calif (real police pkg)...unrestored

I was on previously and read a post about motor differences (3.4 or 3.8 ? ) but now cant find it.

I am looking for some direction , pros, cons of different years, whats a better year for motor reliability?...ive been looking for a couple of weeks now but it seems pretty difficult to find a nice one for sale. money is ready just cant find the right car!

Thanks for any help

Don

·
Registered
657 Posts
just a little fyi:
2000-2005 were the same body style
2006-current are the same body style

that might help you out a little in your 02-06 search.

the 00-03 came with two engines, the 3400 and the 3800. in 2004, when they reintroduced the impala ss, it came with the supercharged 3800, making a total of 3 different engines for those years. the 9c1s and 9c3s all came with the plain vanilla 3800 if im not mistaken.

06 and up featured the 3.5 V6, 3.9 V6, and the 5.3 V8 is available in the SS models. i think, but im not sure, on the 06-current models the 9c1s were all 3.9 V6s.

if i were you and looking for a 9c1, i would go with a 00-05 model with the 3800 as more performance mods are readily available for that engine than any other. for mod ideas, see 04DetroitLS. he has (had?) the 3800 but i think he may have already or is in the process of doing a swap....

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm a newbie to this site, and I thank you for your information on the 3800 engines for Impalas. Do you know of any issues with the 3800 Turbo engine? Is it really any better than the plain 3800? I've been looking for a v6 engine vehicle that also offers better gas mileage than 25mpg. Not had much luck unless your looking at newer vehicles, which, I'm not able to afford. Always like the older Impalas. Thanks again.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
You won't see 25 MPGs ever with a turbo'd 3800. Forced induction means more air and requires more fuel. Unlike the new ecoboosts that are designed for good power and fuel economy. Second the turbo kits wuill run you upwards of $3000, that combined with the cost of a good Impala worthy of building IE: good body, engine and transmission will probably net you upwards of $2000 IF YOUR LUCKY. Then you come to the weak 4t-65e transmission that can barley hold up to the power of a n/a 3400 or 3500 base model impala with under 200 hp, so the transmission will also need to be upgraded to a 4t-65HD. GM High Performance 4T65E This is going to run you upwards of $3000. You'll be lucky to have under $10,000 invested if you do all of the work yourself. And don't upgrade the rest of the vehicle... Then comes the supporting mods to handle all of the boosted power: suspension, brakes and tires etc... This will be a few $k's. Its now by any means cheap or cost effective. I'm not trying to push you away or anything, just warning you that it will be EXPENSIVE.

Just a heads up...

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
Welcome!! :beer: Now you DO realize that we REQUIRE pics of said collection, riiiight???:hope::hope::hope:

·
Super Moderator
10,792 Posts
Welcome sls671 , :beer:
Original post was 2009 :giggle:

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts