Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello B-body fans!

I found these forums looking for some tuneup help.

I have a '91 Caprice Classic that I got about 6 years ago from my great-grandfather. At the time it had maybe 24k miles and was pretty dirty. It was the classic "just drove to the corner market and church" kind of car.

Anyway, I'm hitting a brick wall trying to do a tuneup. My car has a 305 engine and I cannot find a way to get to the passenger side spark plugs. I have spent -hours- searching the internet but all I can find is people who wabnt to sell me new plugs, wires etc. I already changed the distributor and rotor and the driver-side spark plugs and wires.

What is the trick to getting to those 4 passenger side ones? I've tried from underneath like most 305's but there's just lots of front-end suspension in the way. From above there's lots of AC hoses and whatnot. There ahs to be a trick to this that I'm just not seeing.

HELP!! :confused:

Thanks in advance!

-Mike in NW Ohio

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Mike, there are several ways. The easiest to do from home is jack the passenger side up a little to get the wheel off the ground (this provides clearance) you can remove the wheel which makes it easy. Look thru the wheel well/inner fender area, you should be able to easily see the plugs wires.

Cool tools to use are some magnetic wobbly/universal joint spark plug socket with built in extensions.

Long nose spark plug boot remover.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. And thank you for the advice. Like I said, I tried going up from underneath but I never thought to take the wheel off and try going in that way. I'll have to remove part of that inner fender to accessa anything but I think that might do the trick.

I'll keep you all posted. The car is running like absolute crapola and I think (hope) this will solve the problem. I'm also going to have to tear into the rear end soon too. An unnamed tranny repair shop in Toledo rigged up a repair after an accident so now I have a leaking wheel seal. But the old axle shaft is worn out too and there is something called a space saver bearing (that's what someone called it) on it now. I need a new axle shaft, bearings and seals. That should be fun.

Thanks guys and I plan on contributing here too as much as I can, not just freeloading car repair info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts